Amana Dryer runs then stops

Old 05-26-07, 12:11 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Amana Dryer runs then stops

I have an Amana gas dryer model LGA50AW. It stopped working and I found the belt to be bad, so I replaced it. The dryer ran well for about a week, then would run then stop after 20 minutes, but then we could start it back up in about 10 or so minutes. That technique worked well for a week or so, now the dryer will just buzz when the knob it turned. I've looked on-line and all I can figure out is it's the thermister. I don't think it's the motor because when I remove the belt it will run with the knob turned. I'd appreciate any help here.

Thanks

Old 05-27-07, 07:22 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello flgreeneyedone. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

I'm trying to decipher what you wrote as the problem description(s).

Bad Belt? How did you determine that?

Dryer would run for about twenty minutes and then shut down, but you could restart it about 10 - 20 minutes later?

Most likely but not always or positively, indicates a restricted venting system. Remove the exhaust vent from the back of the machine and note the results. Dryer works correctly, vent restricted. Clear venting system.

Same condition exists with vent removed, most likely solenoids defective. There are several other possible causes. Read the dryer sticky note for additional causes and solutions.

Read Gas Dryer Sticky Note In The Forum Topic For Additional Advice:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159481

Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs or services. Always check for gas leaks whenever moving the appliance and/or a service or repair includes any connection of a gas part.

Read the existing questions on the subject of dryers. Doing so will more quickly provide you with answers to questions & provide additional information on how to resolve dryer problems.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the most likely possible problem may be. They will need the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts and problem resolving matters. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Kindly use the reply button to post all replies, to add additional information or ask additional questions when replies are posted. Using this method moves and/or keeps the topic back up to the top of the list of questions automatically and keeps all content on the same subject within one thread.

Web Site Host, Forums Manager, Moderator Hiring and Promotions Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

DRYER SERVICE TIP:
It's always advisable to clean the entire exhaust venting system every 2 years. Or during any dryer maintenance, replacement and or repairs.

Old 06-18-07, 01:56 PM
F
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry Amana Gas Dryer

I made sure all the venting was clear. The Dryer starts up after some buzzing, then runs for 10-15 minutes and then I hear a low buzzing sound then it quits. Could it possibly be the motor? I have an electrical tester and all the solenoids test okay. I'm at a total loss here. Any help would get my dear wife off my back ...lol

Thanks

Old 06-18-07, 05:24 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: flgreeneyedone

Vent clear. Ok. That's good. But buzzing motor sound not so. Prior problem now likely worse. Motor starter windings likely burning out if not already burned out. Motor may have been over heating prior too. Which can cause motor to stop running during cooling off period of time. Usually 15 to 20 minutes before it will restart.

No tester or any testing can be done on motor by a diy'er. Best left to the pros or replace the motor yourself. Be sure to make a pictorial drawing of how and where the wires get connected.

All wires are color coded. Many will have quick disconnections but not all. Be sure to reconnect all wires EXACTLY as they are now. Failure to do so will cause major problems.

Then replace the belt as it is presently installed.

Regards and Good Luck.

Web Site Host, Forums Manager, Moderator Hiring and Promotions Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: