Need help finding right size hole for orifice

Old 06-26-07, 08:42 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Need help finding right size hole for orifice

I am converting my Kenmore Dryer back from propane to natural gas. The orifice I need is part #234826, but I don't want to wait to receive that part in the mail. i am trying to find out what size hole to drill in the old (LP) orifice to convert it back to natural gas. the BTU output of the dryer is 22,000 BTU. Can someone please tell me what size or drill bit # I need to drill out this orifice. Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-07, 03:40 AM
H
Aside from changing the orifice, did you put the cap on the vent limiter? This will also have to be done in order to get the proper gas pressure to the burner.

Old 06-27-07, 05:26 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello kbh229. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Drill bit size will be #44. This is the size for the most common natural gas appliance regulators, set at 3.5 inches of water column (W/C) pressure. Very few, if any, appliance regulators use 4.0 inches W/C.

Drill bit size, per the chart, under perfect conditions, will provide 21,100 Btu's. Close enough to 22,000 Btu's. Be sure the hole you drill is straight and perfectly centered. Angled or not centered will create problems. Any and all burrs need to be removed also.

As already mentioned, be sure to set the regulator back to natural gas also.

Kindly use the reply button to post all replies, to add additional information or ask additional questions when replies are posted. Using this method moves and/or keeps the topic back up to the top of the list of questions automatically and keeps all content on the same subject within one thread.

Web Site Host, Forums Manager, Moderator Hiring and Promotions Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

DRYER SERVICE TIP:
It's always advisable to clean the entire exhaust venting system every 2 years. Or during any dryer maintenance, replacement and or repairs.

Old 06-27-07, 07:27 AM
K
Regulator and vent limiter

I am not sure how to set the regulator back to natural gas, and am unsure of the cap on the vent limiter. Any suggestions or help?

Old 06-27-07, 07:31 AM
K
Regulator and vent limiter

If this helps, the dryer is a Kenmore model # 110.78712895

Old 06-27-07, 10:55 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: kbh229

Converting most (older types) appliance regulators is a simple matter of turning the cap on the tower of the regulator, which is built into the gas control, over. Turning the cap over converts the regulator between the two different fuel types.

The cap should be marked "LP" or "NAT." The side facing you (UP) is the fuel type it will be set for. Unscrew the cap and turn it over. That will convert it from propane back to natural gas.

Newer types have a lever to switch over. Very old style regs have a set screw that turns. Same type (set screw) as older oven temp controls use. Which does not apply here in your case but may be beneficial to other reads.

Web Site Host, Forums Manager, Moderator Hiring and Promotions Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 06-28-07, 12:30 PM
K
Regulator help

I have figured what I need to convert back to natural gas. I have the right size orifice and I also had to get a leak limiter. The one question I have is this....there is a spring inside the regulator tower that is held in by a regulator adjustment screw. I'm not sure how tight to turn this screw, there is about 1/2" between tight and loose and I'm not sure if I put it tight, loose, or somewhere in between. The leak limiter screws on top of the regulator adjustment screw and than I am ready for natural gas, right? If you go to http://www3.sears.com/ and enter model # 110.78712895 and click on the model # and burner assembly you can bring up a diagram of what I am trying to explain here. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 06-28-07, 04:52 PM
H
If you take out the leak limiter you have now (#15 on the diagram) is there a plastic pin attached to the bottom of it? If it's the one for LP, there should be. If it has the pin, you need to replace it with the proper one for natural gas.

You should not have to adjust anything inside that regulator. In all the dryers I've converted over the years, I've never had to adjust the regulator other than swap the leak limiter with the correct one (LG dryers are the exception as there is a manual adjustment). On Kenmore dryers, you need to get the right part.

Old 07-06-07, 02:34 PM
M
corrections to coversion

Here is a link for a conversion chart. http://www.grillparts.com/howto/btu_guide.htm
Make sure you know the pressure of the regulator setting and then use the appropriate drill size per the chart. You must use a manometer to find out the correct pressure. adjustment of the regulator is by tightening or loosening the screw under the cap. The more you tighten it the higher the pressure. I disagree a little bit with another post in the common pressure found on a natural gas regulator. 90% of the regs I have found are usually set at 5.0" water column. Good luck.