Kenmore series 70 gas dryer

Old 07-03-07, 07:43 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kenmore series 70 gas dryer

Works for a while, then just no heat. I've cleaned the vent, took apart the dryer and vac'd out everything, even the blower. It works fine for awhile, then stops heating again. Maybe a coincidence, but if I unplug and plug it back in, it works for awhile

Old 07-04-07, 08:59 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Welcome fas8253 to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

There are several causes for the problem described. Could be a solenoid dropping out, defective gas valve, restricted venting system caused by a partially opening or not opening at all exhaust vent hoods internal flapper door, defective thermal fuse, thermostat, etc.

It's also possible one or both of the solenoids could be defective and or the gas valve could be defective. There are two solenoids...both are on top of the gas valve. All terminals on both solenoids must have continuity. If not, you'll need to remove them from the top of the gas valve by removing the entire gas valve assembly first.

Remove both solenoids off the gas valve body by removing the hold down cover plate and replace them both if defective. They are sold only in pairs. Or take the entire gas valve unit to your local appliance parts store and have the entire assembly and all the parts tested individually and as an assembly.

Defective Gas Valve could be the problem. Remove entire unit as an assembly. Take the entire assembly to your local appliance parts store for testing.

CAUTION: Do Not attempt to repair the gas valve! This is a non repairable item. Replacement is the only option, if found to be defective.

Flame Sensor could be the problem. This part is located on the burner housing. If it's defective, it will cause the glow igniter to not function or cause the problem your describing. Premature shut down. You can test the sensor with a continuity tester or an ohm meter. Should Be fully continuity.

Read the existing questions on the subject of dryers. Doing so will more quickly provide you with answers to questions & provide additional information on how to resolve dryer problems.

Read Gas Dryer Sticky Note In The Forum Topic For Additional Advice:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159481

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the most likely possible problem may be. They will need the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts and problem resolving matters. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs or services. Always check for gas leaks whenever moving the appliance and/or a service or repair includes any connection of a gas part.

Kindly use the reply button to post all replies, to add additional information or ask additional questions when replies are posted. Using this method moves and/or keeps the topic back up to the top of the list of questions automatically and keeps all content on the same subject within one thread.

Old 07-13-07, 04:58 AM
F
The dryer has been working. I did nothoing more than clear out the duct work and took off the back and vac'd out all the lint and dust.
No my wife smells gas now and then when running the dryer. Is this likely the heating element is not working?

Old 07-17-07, 04:42 AM
F
Question

OK, so now we are getting no heat. When I unplug the dryer and plug it back in, it willl heat for one cycle and then no heat again and the timer doesn't move.
Would you suggest replacing the coils?

Old 07-17-07, 05:58 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: fas8253

Yes. Replace the solenoids on top of the gas control valve. Most likely causing the described problem. One heating cycle then no heat.

Old 07-17-07, 05:00 PM
F
I took everything apart and I have the solenoids on order. Supposed tobe delivered today but didn't show up. I did a continuity test on the flamse sensor (after removiong it) and it shows anywhere between 50-100 ohms. I cleaned all the dust out put everything back together with the old parts, left the drum out and started up the dryer to watch. The ingnitor lights and after 10 seconds or so, the burner comes on for about 20 seconds then off again. A minute or so later the ingnitor fires up, the burner starts and runs for 20 seconds then shuts off. I watched this cycle 5times.
What do you think? Should I replace the solenoids still? The heat sensor? The thermostats look fine but can they be tested anyway? Just don't know what to do?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: