GE Gas stove won't light :(

Old 07-12-07, 09:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GE Gas stove won't light :(

The burner clicks and I see the spark, but it won't light!

Can someone tell me what to look for? It lights just fine with match and the other burners light just fine.

THX!

Old 07-13-07, 07:30 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello crabjoe and Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic.

The air fuel ratio mixture could be out of adjustment. There are air intake shutters on every burner tube. These are adjustable and regulate the volume of air entering the burner tube. The correct adjustment will allow the burner flame to burn BLUE and ignite quickly from the sparker. Close the shutter a slight amount and test. If lighting is quick and the flames are all blue, that is the correct setting for that burner.

The spark ignition system may be too weak to ignite the burners, The clearance distance between the sparking element could be incorrect. The sparker could be dirty, the ignition ports could be clogged up or restricted as well as the burner heads.

Ignition ports are tiny holes up one side of the burner head. If these holes are restricted, they must be cleared out. Cleaning can be accomplished using sewing straight pin needle. DO NOT enlarge the ignition holes. Doing so will have adverse burner lighting effects.

Burner heads where the flames will not burn completely around the entire circumference of the burner head, the holes which do not have flames are clogged up and need cleaning.

To clean the sparker's, use an old tooth brush or pipe cleaner. DO NOT attempt to bend any tabs if the sparker's have them. The part is very brittle and will crack the ceramic insulator and or the tip will break off.

Additional Help Here:
Read the Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Informational Sticky Note, in this forums topic, for more detailed information.

Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information, Fault Codes & Mfg's Web Site Links http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: