test natural gas stove with Lp

Old 08-06-07, 09:07 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question test natural gas stove with Lp

I am refurbishing a 1950's Wedgewood stove and would like to test it. I don't have easy access to a natural gas outlet. Would it be safe to use my barbecue propane bottle? I realize the propane is more pressure. Will I have to obtain regulators? Thanks,Brian

Old 08-06-07, 10:34 AM
I would not recommend it. Could be an explosive experiment. NG appliances use different orifices than LP.

Old 08-07-07, 06:38 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello BrianT. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

In order to provide you with the best possible advice, more detailed information would be required. Test it for what? And why?

Did you just acquire the appliance? Fix it? If you fixed it, exactly what did you fix and or replace? Did you convert it from Nat gas to propane or from propane to Nat gas?

If you have not Nat gas supply, the appliance cannot be tested using propane. The results would not be the same using propane when the stove is equipped for natural gas.

Kindly use the "reply" button and provide more specific and detailed information.

***If and or when you attempt any repairs, "Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs. Always check for gas leaks whenever the appliance is moved and/or a repair includes any connection of a gas part."

Web Site Host, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics and Repair Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely. "The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 08-07-07, 09:07 AM
B
test natural gas stove with Lp

Hello Sharp Advice, Thanks for the response. I have owned the stove for 30+ years. I left it in a house I rented and the tenant changed stoves and left it in the rain. I have been cleaning it up. The oven thermostat was stuck so I cleaned it, put it back together and now would like to test it. The stove is heavy and it is not practical to pull out one of my existing appliances so that I can test it with natural gas. I want to leave it as is with natural gas but hoped I could test the oven with LP. The thermostat is a wilcolator c on a wedgewood stove.

Old 08-08-07, 07:48 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Brian

The results would not be the same. An appliance set up to use natural gas will not burner anywheres near the same when fueled by propane or any other bottled fuels.

If the appliance has sat unused for any long term duration, the valves may be hard to turn because the internal valve lube grease settled to the base of the valve core or is non existent. All the manual turning valves may require a re-greasing.

All or some orifices likely to be plugged up and or restricted with spider webs and or insects of some variety. All or some burner tubes and ports likewise. An extensive cleaning in all these areas is likely to be needed. Ports are the holes and or slots the flames come out of on the burners, FYI.

There isn't any other known way to test any gas appliance except by doing so using the fuel the appliance is set up to use. Any other fuel will not burn correctly and lead you to believe the appliance is not working correctly.

Trust me. Been there, seen that and done that in my former 30 plus years of appliance servicing.

Old 08-08-07, 08:02 AM
B
Hello Sharp Advice, I believe you are correct. I realize the stove would not operate normally. I was hoping I could safely see if the oven will just turn on. Do you have any experience with the wilcolator c oven thermostat?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: