Converting regulator on New Frigidaire Stove

Old 08-07-07, 06:28 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Converting regulator on New Frigidaire Stove

I have purchased a new Frigidaire gas slide-in stove and am attempting to convert it from the factory setting of natural gas over to LP.

The regulator instructions are clear and simple....remove cap-screw and snap out the nylon gas indicator, turn it for lp and reinsert. The problem is nothing like that exists on the regulator on this stove.

The side of the regulator facing the rear of the stove is covered by a bracket holding it to the stove. The only moving part is a positionable off-on switch.

The side of the regulator facing the front of the stove is accessible by removing the lower drawer but it's only feature is a brass cap that supports a spring inside the regulator.

I see no way to convert this regulator but surely I am missing something.

Thanks in advance

Dave S.

Old 08-08-07, 08:09 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Dave and Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic.

Manufacturers write and provide one owners manual regardless of which parts are used. One manufacturer can, will and often does have several parts suppliers. Which means any one appliance they build can have any of several parts purchased from anyone of their suppliers.

In the case you described, the above likely is the case. The regulator installed on your appliance is suppled by a different manufacturer and has a different method to convert it. Some gas valves have a convertible regulator that only requires the cap be turned over.

Others there may be an insert to invert only, while others require the insert and cap to be turned over. Newer regulators only have a lever to move into a different position. Several variations depending upon manufacturer.

If the regulator you have does not have an insert, the cap will be different on each side. Look closely at the cap. Each side slightly different then the other. Turn the cap over from NAT to P. Or cap may have stamped on it an "N" and a "P" The side facing up is the fuel setting indicating setting.

Web Site Host, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics and Repair Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely. "The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 08-08-07, 09:58 AM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sharp Advice,

Thank you. I believe that resolves it. The brass cap on the regulator is invertible.

As it arrived, (set up for natural gas) the cap is essentially "hollow" and does not touch the spring inside the regulator. Inverted, the cap has a protusion which now compresses the spring somewhat.

There is simply no marking of any kind anywhere on the regulator or the cap to indicate to me which is which. I have to assume that the cap with the spring uncompressed is for natural gas (since it came that way) and when the cap is inverted, compressing the spring, I am assuming that is the correct position for LP.

Your thoughts?

Dave S

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: