range ignition: electrode or spark generator?

Old 08-19-07, 08:08 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
range ignition: electrode or spark generator?

I own a four-burner Amana gas range. Two of the burners ignite just fine. Two don't. I removed the covers from all four burners, and attempted ignition, revealing sparks at the burners which ignite, and no sparks at the burners which don't. OK, I have a spark problem. I disassembled one of the non-sparking burners by removing two screws from above, and then disconnecting the in-line connection in the spark wire, and then removing the little screw on the burner underside, which attaches the electrode to the burner. Nothing looked "bad", but there were brownish deposits on the contact surfaces between the burner and the electrode ground. Are the brownish deposits caused by arcing? I scraped off the deposits and reassembled the burner. Still there is no spark at this burner. However, if I hold a screw driver tip between the "hot" tip of that electrode, and the surface to which it should spark, then I can get a weak spark from that electrode. Is it likely that I need new electrodes at the non-sparking burners, or a new solid state spark generator, or both?

Thanks,

Andrei

Old 08-20-07, 07:17 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Andrei. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Since only two of four sparker's have the weak spark condition and cleaning them has not solved the problem, those two sparker's are likely worn out.

Not the spark module. Replacing the two effected sparker's will likely resolve the problem.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be also. They will need the make, model an serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

If and or when you attempt any repairs, "Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs. Always check for gas leaks whenever the appliance is moved and/or a repair includes any connection of a gas part."

Kindly use the reply button to post all replies, add additional information or ask additional questions when replies are posted. Using this method moves and/or keeps the topic back up to the top of the list of questions automatically and keeps all content on the same subject within one thread.

Web Site Host, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics and Repair Technician.

Old 08-24-07, 03:56 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Will replace the sparkers. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: