Gas Stove run with LP

Reply

  #1  
Old 08-20-07, 08:43 AM
G
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Gas Stove run with LP

Are there any safety issues buying a used stove(GE Profile) that was set up for natural gas and run with LP......for 3-4 weeks? It is slightly sooty, but appears to clean up easily.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 08-20-07, 09:56 AM
Sharp Advice's Avatar
Admin Emeritus
Join Date: Feb 1998
Location: The Shake and Bake State USA
Posts: 10,440
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello GM7712. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

No long term negative mechanical effects using the appliance for that short of time on propane while set up for natural gas. However, if the appliance will be fueled by propane for continuous use, it must be converted from natural gas to propane.

After a good inspection and major cleaning, reconnecting, if not already connected to natural gas and using natural gas once again, appliance should be a-ok.

If and or when you attempt any repairs, "Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs. Always check for gas leaks whenever the appliance is moved and/or a repair includes any connection of a gas part."

Kindly use the reply button to post all replies, add additional information or ask additional questions when replies are posted. Using this method moves and/or keeps the topic back up to the top of the list of questions automatically and keeps all content on the same subject within one thread.

Web Site Host, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics and Repair Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely. "The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."
 
  #3  
Old 08-21-07, 03:54 PM
M
Member
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San Jose,Ca
Posts: 1,561
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Be aware of the impingement on pans will cause carbon monoxide (top burners). I certainly wouldn't use the oven. It will be severly overgassed and will be a problem.
 
  #4  
Old 08-22-07, 01:07 PM
G
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Clarification.

Thanks for the advice, and let me clarify something. I am planning on using the stove with natural gas. It is and was set up for natural gas.... but run with LP for 3-4 weeks. Are there any issues with hooking it up to natural gas, after a cleaning? It is 2007 model, for sale at 1/4 original cost.
 
  #5  
Old 08-23-07, 12:36 PM
Sharp Advice's Avatar
Admin Emeritus
Join Date: Feb 1998
Location: The Shake and Bake State USA
Posts: 10,440
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello GM7712.

No problem or issues connecting stove to natural gas, since no conversion was ever done.
 
  #6  
Old 08-24-07, 05:27 PM
H
Member
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 723
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Maybe I'm reading too far into this, maybe not but I'll ask anyway....

If you are "going" to be using natural gas, I take it your are currently using a temp. LP gas source like a BBQ cylinder? If that is the case, where is the tank? Please, please, please don't tell me hooked up to the range behind it. And... if it is, is there a regulator of some sort hooked up to the cylinder before it goes into the range?

Regardless of the above, my take on your situation is not good. Regardless of pots and pans being sooty, the burners WILL give off excessive carbon monoxide being carbon monoxide is a product of incomplete combustion, not to mention that breathing in the ever so slight amount of soot isn't a good idea either.

Since it's a GE, chances are (I can almost guarantee) that there is a conversion kit with in the range. Convert it for use with propane, then reverse the conversion back to natural gas.
 
  #7  
Old 08-27-07, 03:41 AM
G
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Further clarification

The stove was and always has been set up for Natural Gas. It was purchased new and run for approx. 3-4 weeks on LP. Home Dep installed it without converting to LP. They found this out and sent a new stove with the LP conversion kit and installed it....... telling the purchaser to put it to the curb as garbage. I am considering purchasing this stove, but was wondering if there was any mechanical or safety issues. Did Home Dep trash it because it could not be re-sold? Or is there some other reason?
 
  #8  
Old 08-28-07, 05:01 AM
Sharp Advice's Avatar
Admin Emeritus
Join Date: Feb 1998
Location: The Shake and Bake State USA
Posts: 10,440
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: GM7712

As mentioned above, after a complete inspection and major cleaning to remove any soot on the burners, inside the burner tubes, in and on the orifices and air shutters, on the burner tubes, there should be no problems using the stove.

Why the appliance was deemed unusable or not serviceable by the big box store is beyond me, unless there is some unforeseen condition neither you nor I nor anyone else in this forum is aware of. Or it's a store policy maybe?

Usually, a store will take the appliance back, have a service agency service it and sell it as a used appliance for the big box store. Or the store will donate the appliance to a charity, etc.

I suspect the issue to be if you are able to service the appliance yourself and willing to use it once the service is completed and the appliance is correctly connected to the natural gas supply. If so, case closed. You'll have yourself an almost brand new appliance...
 
Reply
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: