KitchenAid Dryer won't start

Old 08-29-07, 05:55 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
KitchenAid Dryer won't start

My 1993 KitchenAid dryer stopped working in the middle of a cycle. When the Start button is pushed I can hear a hum that power it going to it, but nothing happens. When I open the door or turn the cycle knob to off, the hum stops.

I opened it up and checked the belt, which is fine, and vacuumed everything out. The drum turns fine, and I had no other indications that something was wrong with it. I thought it might be the thermal fuse, but installing a new fuse didn't help.

Any suggestions on what else I can do myself? How can I tell if it's the motor?

Thanks.

Old 08-30-07, 04:12 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Raving. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

The problem description is well described. Thanks. Helps me to make a more accurate problem diagnosis. And offer more accurate problem possibilities with possible solutions...

What the condition is most likely to be is a worn out motor. When the motor begins to reach a pre-set temperature, it's own internal thermal fuse shuts it off. That prevents it from over heating, burning up and/or catching on fire.

You have already done many of the other possible causes. Thus, the motor is now the primary suspect of the problem. Only method of testing ti be sure is to either have the motor tested at a local electric motor repair shop or replace the motor with a new one.

Electric motor testing is most likely going to cost half to three quarters of the cost of a new motor. If that is the case, motor replacement would be the best choice. A rebuilding of the existing motor is possible but not often cost effective.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the most likely possible problem may be. They will need the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts and problem resolving matters. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs or services. Always check for gas leaks whenever moving the appliance and/or a service or repair includes any connection of a gas part.

Kindly use the reply button to post all replies, to add additional information or ask additional questions when replies are posted. Using this method moves and/or keeps the topic back up to the top of the list of questions automatically and keeps all content on the same subject within one thread.

Web Site Host, Forums Manager, Moderator Hiring and Promotions Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Read Gas Dryer Sticky Note In The Forum Topic For Additional Advice:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159481

DRYER SERVICE TIP:
It's always advisable to clean the entire exhaust venting system every 2 years. Or during any dryer maintenance, replacement and or repairs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: