Kenmore Gas Range Problem

Old 09-15-07, 11:10 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kenmore Gas Range Problem

We have a Kenmore gas range model 362-75980891 (about 8 years old) which we were using last night.

While broiling, there was a loud "pop" (like the bulb inside the oven exploding) and the stove electronic controls went out.

Whatever went wrong caused the breaker to trip.

Upon resetting the breaker, the electronic controls on the top of the stove functioned properly, but the oven and broiler no longer heat up. There is no smell of gas and placing a flame next to the interior oven or broiler burners does not result in either lighting. The stove top gas elements light using the electronic spark without any problem.

Anyone have any thoughts as to the cause or experienced a similar issue?

Old 09-15-07, 11:48 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello lsmith2 and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and to the Gas Appliances topic.

Loud audible POP and the house circuit breaker tripped...HUmmm.... Not a combined common incident. Electronics to oven and broiler failure does happen but never any sounds heard. They just fail.

Stove top burners are separated electrically and electrical component wise from the oven/broiler compartments. Each of the two systems work independently of each other.

What you may need to do is unplug the entire appliance or turn off the breaker to it. Then inspect the electrical parts and components for any visual signs of damage caused by sparking and/or arcing of electricity.

Specifically check the areas where the oven and broiler parts are. May have to remove inside lower oven plate, etc.

Also look for a fuse, which may be in a fuse holder or in line with main electrical inlet wire. Either of which may be inside lower compartment or in the back of the appliance.

Inspect visually the wall outlet box too. Not likely to have shorted there or the circuit breaker would not have reset.

However, I have seen the plug end of the electrical cord burner and the circuit break never shut off or did shut of and still was able to be reset. Happened to myself with my own washer!

Retail parts dealers and appliances parts stores can also help determine what the possible problem may be based upon that specific brand and model. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers and appliances parts stores are listed in the phone book.

Cautionary Reminder Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in this thread.

Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 09-15-07, 01:10 PM
L
Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I pulled the stove away from the wall and inspected it. I see no apparent signs of an arc at the outlet or within any of the wiring on the back of the stove.

The top/broiler igniter shows no visible sign of any issues--but it does not glow or get hot when broiling.

I removed the cover of the oven to view the bottom/oven igniter. It's possible an arc could have jumped from the oven igniter to the tube providing the gas--but it's not clear and we were using the broiler. This igniter does not get hot nor glow.

I liked your idea of looking for an internal fuse, but I could find none. Fortunately, the schematics for the stove were attached to the back, and I see no figure indicating an internal fuse (that would have been great).

Interestingly, two years after we purchased this stove, it had an electrical issue which rendered the control pad and stove inoperable. Service came out and the control pad was replaced. Not knowing the underlying cause, we ran a new 12/2 line directly from the circuit box to the stove.

With whatever happened this time, it made a loud noise and tripped a 20 amp breaker on a line that is dedicated to the stove and dishwasher (which was not running).

I suspect we need to call service (which will likely require 2 weeks to schedule an initial visit). Any other suggestions given the additional information above?

Thanks again for your reply; it's appreciated.

Old 12-04-07, 07:08 PM
R
Kenmore Gas Oven/Broiler will not light

I have a Kemore gas range model # 362-7172191. The broiler/oven stopped lighting for no apparant reason. There is no smell of gas even after I turn the thermostat knob on and leave it on for a few minutes.

It is an electric ignitor, which i have located. Do you think that the problem is that the ignitor has gone bad? Or could it be an electrical connection? There is some type of green substance, almost like battery acid, around the ignitor. Could this be a problem?

Thanks for your help.

Old 12-05-07, 05:54 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Ross. Welcome to Gas Appliances topic and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Very likely the glow igniter simply burned out. Usually the HSI (Hot Surface Igniter) will glow weakly as it ages. However, some do simply fail. Replace the igniter, as a first attempt to fix the problem.

Cautionary Reminder Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

Read The Sticky Help Note In This Topic:
Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites. http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in this thread.

Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: