Disconnect/connect propane gas stove?

Old 10-10-07, 03:00 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Disconnect/connect propane gas stove?

We are buying a new gas stove, but the store will not install it for us because it is propane gas. I am wondering how easy or difficult it is to do it myself. What can I expect once I pull the old stove away from the wall? What steps do I need to take to disconnect the old stove and reconnect the new stove? I don't want to blow up my family, but I also don't want to pay a plumber to do it if it is relatively simple to do. Is it something the average Joe can do, or should I let a professional do it? Also, do I need any special tools or equipment? Thanks!

Old 10-11-07, 04:24 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Disconnecting the old stove and reconnecting the new one is the easy part. All you need for that is a couple of adjustable wrenches and some thread sealer.

The hard part is properly converting the new stove from natural gas to LP (propane). What is usually involved in doing this is adjusting the appliance pressure regulator and changing or adjusting the burner orifices. Depending on the make and model of the range, the orifices can be adjusted with a 1/2 inch open end wrench. Some have orifices that get replaces in which you need a 7mm nut driver. There are a few in which you need a 5/16" nut driver.

This conversion is required of all top burners and all oven burners. If you are not comfortable doing this it is best left up to someone experienced.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: