Thermadore gas top with an ignition problem

Old 10-31-07, 09:34 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thermadore gas top with an ignition problem

I have a Thermador SGC365R or SGCS365R (not sure which), five burner gas top. The most frequently used burner is failing to ignite.
The spark provided by the ignitor associated with this burner does not appear to be as long as the sparks provided by the other four ignition units.
I tried to light it with a match while the ignitor was clicking and sparking with no effect.

Any ideas?
Thanks, Jim

Old 10-31-07, 10:02 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Jim. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

If I understand the problem description correctly,
I tried to light it with a match while the igniter was clicking and sparking with no effect
even a match does not light the burner flame. If this is correct, chances are the burners orifice is plugged up. Or the burner tube is clogged up.

You'll need to remove that burner, clean and/or clear the orifice hole and/or burner tube. The orifice is the brass or bronze thimble like cap the burners tube sets on. Caution. Do not enlarge the hole. Simply clean it out using a pin needle or similar device.

If you must remove that hex nut orifice, FIRST count the number of turns it takes to bottom it out into the fully closed (threaded in wards, clock wise rotation) position. Then remove it by unscrewing it off completely.

Hold the orifice up to a light, clean out the hole using a needle pin and re-install it. Screw it on until bottomed out. Then unscrew it out wards the number of turns it took to bottom it out. That will put it back at the original position it was...

"Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs. Always check for gas leaks whenever the appliance is moved and/or a repair includes any connection of a gas part."

Kindly use the reply button to post all replies, add additional information or ask additional questions when replies are posted. Using this method moves and/or keeps the topic back up to the top of the list of questions automatically and keeps all content on the same subject within one thread.

Web Site Host, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics and Repair Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely. "The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 11-01-07, 03:22 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Which burner isn't working? You need to nail down the model #? The SGCSxxxx has an electric solenoid valve for one or more of the burners while the SGCxxxx does not. The problem could be that the solenoid valve has gone bad.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: