Replacing a used gas oven?

Old 11-18-07, 01:48 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing a used gas oven?

I just bought a 6 month old used gas oven for my mother-in-law to replace one that went out. Do I understand correctly that the safety valve at the wall and the connector hose need to be replaced regardless of condition, or is it okay to reuse the existing hose (looks in good shape) to the existing safety cutoff? Not having taken the old one out yet, I may need adapters to get it to match. The house is 60 years old. Any problems anticipated you can see?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 11-19-07, 12:40 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello always learning and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and to the Gas Appliances topic.

The new appliance will likely require the newer style connector, will not fit the older type shut off valves. Unless the existing parts are already of the newer type. Nor will the old connector fit the new intake gas manifold.

As few adapters should be used as possible. Only one that needs to be used and installed is the one that gets installed on the appliance inlet manifold pipe. No other place should an adapter be used nor require to make parts fit together.

The existing shut off valve is very likely of the old type. The newer types will have or should have a RED hand turn off lever. No tools should be needed to open or shut the valve.

Old style of shut off valves male end will not fit the new type of connectors female end. Diameters (male ends and female ends) are different sizes. Best (IMO) not to reuse existing parts.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: