Should I buy a standing pilot light stove?

Old 11-28-07, 10:31 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Should I buy a standing pilot light stove?

For about 30 years I used a Caloric gas range that had a standing pilot light. It never gave me any trouble, but 10 years ago I decided to go modern and bought a Tappan gas range with electronic ignition. It has given me nothing but trouble. During that time I have replace the oven igniter twice, gas valve once, and installed two new stove top burners. I now want to buy a new gas range with a standing pilot light, like my old Caloric. I know the electronic features on a gas range are convenient, but, in my opinion, they are simply not reliable. Any advice or comments from anyone? Thanks, Sherry

Old 11-29-07, 06:47 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Sherry. Welcome to Gas Appliances topic and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

If you can find any new free standing cooking stove/range with constant burning pilots and want it, buy it. But I seriously doubt any new ones exist. Not made any longer by any manufacturer I am aware of. And have not been made for many years.

With the exception of having to replace two top burners, the service gotten from the existing range over the time period of ownership, is about average and normal for a late model appliance.

Old 11-29-07, 04:11 PM
H
GE Hotpoint does make one. Model RGB508PPWH.

The main difference between these and the older style of pilot ranges is there's a safety for the oven pilot. To light the oven pilot on these you must hold in the oven knob while lighting the pilot. The cooktop pilots are the same.

It is currently available on ebay for $256.00.

Old 11-30-07, 08:00 PM
S
found standing pilot range

I found one by Americana at Home Depot. They also told me they could order a new standing pilot Hotpoint. If replacing the igniter twice and the gas valve once in 10 years is normal, I will just do without those modern features. By the way, I have a 28 year old GE washing machine that still works fine and a thirty old GE refrigerator that still runs. Neither appliance has ever been repaired.

I appreciate your replies.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: