gas dryer strong smell

Old 12-06-07, 10:07 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
gas dryer strong smell

ive not had a problem with a gas smell until last night my gas dryer pilot flame was going strong 6 hours after the dryer was in the off position. I unplugged it and could only get the flame out by turning off the gas and then turning the gas back on again but now although ive tightened fairly well the gas knob..i have a strong gas odor permeating the house and it seems as though its not as strong downstairs now but has traveled upstairs..will it disapate? and what would or could cause this to happen to my whirlpool dryer..7 yrs old
ne suggestions appreciated
thank you

Old 12-07-07, 05:47 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello kafoste. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

If I am reading the problem description(s) correctly, there could be two serious problems. A leaking gas shut off valve on the gas supply line behind the machine.

And a gas control valve that fails to shut down (???) when the drying cycle ends. (???) Which allows the burner to continue having a flame when the machine is off.

What gas knob (valve) or which gas valve (knob) did you tighten???... The supply shut off valve behind the machine?

Clarifications needed to the above.

If the gas supply shut off valve (isolation valve) behind the machine leaks, it needs to be replaced.

If the burner failed to shut off the burner after the machine shut off, the gas control valve needs to be replaced. This condition would be highly rare and/or unlikely but possible.

Any one or both of the above conditions may not be a do it yourself task. Unless one is handy with tools and highly mechanically inclined, imo.

Hopefully, the gas odor has dissipated and none now exists. If any gas odor is still present, turn off the isolation line behind the machine and seek help or replace the shut off valve asap.

Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs or services. Always check for gas leaks whenever moving the appliance and/or a service or repair includes any connection of a gas part.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in this thread.

Web Site Host, Forums Manager, Moderator Hiring and Promotions Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 12-07-07, 07:41 AM
K
strong odor and gas valve

i so appreciate the reply..this is a old house and the valve is not directly behind dryer..but it cuts gas off to dryer i saw gas lady use that valve when i had a leak in the coil that runs from pipe to dryer years ago..she then had me turn it on after i replaced hose.Flame in pilot stayed lit until i killed the gas...no smell before but after it went out{flame}i turned knob back on and then the smell...checked just now..smell is not at pipe but is strongest inside dryer and at lets say dryer seams where one meets..top to side panels.isnt there something in the dryer under the drum that supplys the gas that could not be getting signal to turn off and now gas is still coming out of that spot?...again ne help i appreciate..and thanks for taking your time with me

Old 12-07-07, 09:53 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: kafoste

Ok. Got it. Gas odor not at the gas supply shut off valve... That's good. Odor inside dryer. Which may only be the pilot gas. Hopefully so. Hard to say without being there first hand.

Although it is rare a gas valve allows burner gas to come out when there is no pilot flame and dryer is running, it can happen. Which creates large volume of gas odor when dryer is turned on and in operation. Hopefully not the case here.

If there is an odor as a result of only pilot gas since there is no pilot flame, and the dryer isn't in operation, not as serious as no burner flame when dryer is running. (Turned On)

Older machines may have a constant pilot flame which emits pilot gas when there is no pilot flame but such machines would have to be very old machines.

Any idea how old this machine is? Brand and model numbers may help. Some older machines had constant burning pilots. Yours may have.

If you are saying the odor is present all the time, it may be a defective gas valve versus only a pilot flame out...

Exactly what knob are you referring to??? Dryer timer knob?
turned knob back on and then the smell

Old 12-08-07, 07:05 AM
K
strong gas odor

hi again and thanks
smell was strong inside dryer and at seams as i stated before but i had turned the gas back on thinking since pilot flame was out and dryer now unplugged id be fine but thats when i smelled the gas odor at the bottom of dryer,at the seams and sorta inside dryer drum. i then turned off gas completely to dryer and of course now no smell but thats why i thought it would be ok to keep it on{gas} since when all was operating correctly and dryer was offand flame out there ws no smell...still no smell was ever at shut off valve..whirlpool 5.9 cu ft basic operation and about 7 yrs old

Old 12-08-07, 07:33 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: kafoste

The dryer does not (should not) have a constant burning pilot flame. It's to new to have such. The flame would be visible if you're looking at the burner assembly.

You would not likely see any pilot flame when the dryer is not in operation. If you where to look at the burner assembly, it will have a glow igniter. You'll see a glow igniter located at the end of the burner tube. Burner tube extends out from the gas valve. Has a shroud around it.

If you're smelling a gas odor when the dryer isn't in operation and has not been in operation, the odor is coming from the gas valve. The area instance is present. Gas control valve leaks when it is not in operation.

Solution:
Gas control valve must be replaced. They are a non repairable part.

Read Gas Dryer Sticky Note In The Forum Topic:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159481

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the most likely possible problem may be. They will need the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts and problem resolving matters. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs or services. Always check for gas leaks whenever moving the appliance and/or a service or repair includes any connection of a gas part.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: