GE Spectra XL44 Oven works on broil only

Old 12-07-07, 04:31 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
GE Spectra XL44 Oven works on broil only

Help, my oven is on the fritz! And my wife wants to make cookies tomorrow! I bought it new about 4 years ago. No problems until tonight when I tried making a frozen pizza. I waited for a while and the preheat light never came on. I looked inside and it was still room temperature. I tried the range and it fires right up. The digital display all works fine, I can even hear the thermostat clicking. Out of desparation, I tried the broil function, and it fired right up. Unfortunately, when I turn it back to the regular baking side of the dial, it never fires up again. I can heat the oven up with the broiler and manually check the temp by seeing the preheated light come on, but no igniter and no gas in the bake portion of the dial. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Old 12-08-07, 06:18 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello rmueske. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic.

If the glow igniter isn't glowing at all, chances are it's burned out. Switch it with the broiler igniter. Remove the broiler igniter and install it in the oven. If the oven works, the igniter that was installed in the oven is defective.

The above may work even if the glow igniter in the oven is glowing. Oven glow igniter may not be glowing hot enough to ignite gas. So the oven burner fails to light.

There could be several other causes. All of them are likely to be more difficult to fix and are more costly.

Retail parts dealers and appliances parts stores can also help determine what the possible problem may be based upon that specific brand and model. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers and appliances parts stores are listed in the phone book.

Additional Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers on line web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes, solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair procedures, pictorials, schematics, repair and or owners manuals which may be available on line.

Cautionary Reminder Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

Read The Sticky Help Note In This Topic:
Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites. http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in this thread.

Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 12-15-07, 01:04 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Glowbar in old XL44 model.

I am having the same problem. Where is this glowbar/ignitor located. I don't see anything outstanding in the oven or broiler. Is there a site that may have a diagram?

Old 12-16-07, 07:47 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello mickey94558. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

The glow igniter (HSI) is usually located either on the side of the burner or on top above it. Igniter may be a flat bar or round tube like device.

Both types have ceramic bases and have a protective metal shield around them. Both will have two wire leads. Replacement igniter's come with complete diagram installation instructions and pictures.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: