Help Save Christmas Dinner (Oven Temp Control)

Old 12-07-07, 07:03 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help Save Christmas Dinner (Oven Temp Control)

I have a Kenmore gas stove. It is a 1950 (?) model. My husband replaced the thermostat. Previously the oven would not get up to temp. NOW....the temp keeps going up no matter where I set the thermostat dial. Had a tech come....he checked the thermostat, cleaned out the gas orifice to the oven burner. That brought the flame up quite nicely. Except....I cannot get the oven to stop heating when it reaches the desired oven temperature.

BLS

Old 12-08-07, 06:39 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello BLS and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and to the Gas Appliances topic.

Based upon the problem description and the unknown time span factors between T-Stat replacement and service call, the symptom indicates the T-Stat is defective. Lost it's ability to sense temperature.

If the above is the case, T-Stat has to be replaced. No amount of adjustments will correct a T-Stat that has lost the ability to sense any heat.

When was the T-Stat replaced?
Days/Weeks ago? - Months/Years ago?

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in this thread.

Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 12-08-07, 08:49 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Christmas dinner------

The t-stat was replaced 1 wk ago with a new robert shaw (fits all BJ series) thermostat kit. When it did not function properly, a service tech was called .. last Wed. and he solved the low flame problem by cleaning out the orifice...

He also took apart the thermostat to look for errors since it had accidentally popped open on me as I first installed it.
Now we have great heating ability...but if set at 300* it just keeps going up to 550* and would go higher if we had not stopped it by turning it off.

Old 12-08-07, 10:02 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: BLS

Unfortunately I do not have a definitive repair solution to the problem... Except to replace that T-Stat...

He also took apart the thermostat to look for errors since it had accidentally popped open on me as I first installed it.

Only T-Stats taken apart where those used in my training classes. Never at a customers home or a customers appliance. They simply are not repairable, best of my knowledge.

Extreme care has to be given to the sensors prob element and it's extension tubing during installation. Any damage to either will cause the vapor charge within it to escape. Rendering the T-Stat unable to sense temps. Which causes the excessive temps the oven is experiencing.

The sensor must also be secured in the two clips. No kinks and/or sharp bends in the extension tubing can exist. No up wards air flow restrictions can exist in the oven. Like foils or large pans. Heat must rise up wards to be sensed by temp element.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: