Oven won't light / Please help...

Old 12-17-07, 10:27 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Oven won't light / Please help...

I have a GE built-in gas wall oven (I believe the model is 326B), that won't ignite. I've taken the bottom plate off to reveal the oven burner and verify this (no, it's not the breaker switch). I hate paying over a hundred bucks to have it cleaned for 5 minutes of easy labor. What do I do and how do I go about doing it? I bought this new around 3 years ago.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 12-17-07, 01:12 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Arrow Burned Out Or Weak Glow Igniter

Hello Nam_LRRP and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and to the Gas Appliances topic.

If the controls are all set correctly, common problem with Hot Surface Igniter's. (HSI) They burn out or become weak glowing.

The HSI will be located close to the side or on top of the burner. HSI will have a metal shroud covering it. May be round in shape or a flat bar located either on the side or top of the burner.

If the glow bar igniter is glowing and the burner fails to light, most likely the glowing hot surface igniter is too weak to provide enough of an ignition source. That is the most likely problem cause, replacing the glow igniter will resolve the problem.

A hot glowing surface igniter, working correctly, will glow an intense bright yellow orange in color. Any reddish color or a dull orange color indicates the (HSI) glow igniter is weak.

If the igniter fails to glow at all and all other selections and optional selections on the control panel are set correctly, the HSI will need to be replaced with a new part. Replacing it should solve the problem.

Cautionary Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

For more detailed information etc. read the recent postings within this forum. The questions already asked describe like or similarly related problem descriptions as your question.

Those prior postings and all the replies offered within them contain almost all the required information needed to the many possible problems with an ovens HSI ignition system.

Read The Sticky Help Note In This Topic:
Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites. http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers.

Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts. Dealers can also perform tests on parts and stock replacement parts for all appliances. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

If you need further assistance use the reply button. Doing keeps the question at the top of the daily list automatically.

Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: