Proper Alignment Of Ignitor Element

Old 12-17-07, 05:38 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Proper Alignment Of Ignitor Element

Can anyone tell me the proper alignment of a gas ignitor for a Speed Queen gas dryer model AG5419? I had to clean it out and I must have broken this. Apparently they are fragile. The old one had a different base that attached to the burner tube. The old ignitor was turned on an angle towards the end of the burner tube. The new one allows it to be positioned at various angles as there are no locating tabs, only a sloted hole for the screw. I aligned the new ignitor in the same position and verified that it works. It is in the flame from the burner at all times when lit. I am not sure if this is good for the ignitor. It appears to be ceramic and probably can take the heat but I do not want to have to replace this if possible. If anyone knows if the ignitor is supposed to be parallel with the burner tube, I would appericate a response. Thanks. Jeremy

Old 12-18-07, 06:15 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Jeremy. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

An igniter must be close enough to the burner to ignite the gas as soon as gas is available. Instant ignition is a must. If you positioned the new igniter so that results, as you mentioned you have done, and it is working as stated, then the igniter is positioned correctly...

The burner flames are not nearly as hot as the igniter gets when it is glowing. The burner flames will not cause the igniter any damage. The glow igniter's element is carbonic material which can withstand the flames of the burners heat with out problems.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in this thread.

Web Site Host, Forums Manager, Moderator Hiring and Promotions Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 01-02-08, 11:57 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dryer Ignites But Drum Seems To Bind After A Short Time

Sharp Advice,
Thanks for answering my previous question. The dryer is now "working" as far as igniting. When I start the dryer the buzzer seems to be going off and it takes the drum a couple seconds to start to tumble. After about 10 - 20 minutes, the drum stops tumbling and seems to be bound. I can not turn turn the drum in the clockwise direction which is how it is supposed to go. I have to turn it counterclockwise to "unbind" it. I had the dryer apart to clean all the lint out and one of the cylinder rollers seemed to be gummed up and did not turn easy. I removed, cleaned and re-greased this. It spun very easy after this. It is only when I put a heavy load in the dryer that it seems to bind. I am wondering if it is the cylinder rollers or the motor that might be the cause of this. The motor had very little lint on it and spins easily. Any thoughts? Thanks. Jeremy

Old 01-02-08, 03:30 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Jeremy

Very good possibility the motor is binding up after the motor warms/heats up. Plus, the starter motor windings may be worn out. Cause for the difficult or slow start up of the drum tumbling, etc.

Also possible the slider/glider pads are worn out. The pads will be located on top of the front drum frame or on the support bracket attached to the front panel.

Heavy loads cause the top of the drum to drag harder on the top glider/slider pads. Also more load on the lower rollers, if that machine has lower rollers.

May also have a worn rear drum bearing. Which you can determine if there are screws in the back center of the drum holding drum in place. That machine may just not have a real drum. Most dryers have a rotating tube.

You'll need to determine the cause for the drum/tube drag. Be sure you re-installed every thing correctly. Especially if the drag condition was not present before the repair.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: