Gas oven takes hours to ignite

Old 12-23-07, 10:54 AM
X
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas oven takes hours to ignite

I have a Magic Chef (natural) gas oven model 9112VUV about 12-15 years old.

This is what happens when I turn it on;

The electrical heating element gets very bright and hot (measured over 300F).
But the flame doesn't come.
It takes about one to two hours until I see some flame.
The burner stays on until it gets to the set temperature, then it shuts down.
After a while when the temperature goes down, and well below that set degree, it does not flame again.
Changing the thermostat (bringing it higher, say Broil) doesn't help.

I read somewhere that the control / safety valve is in default.
Is this the case?
And if yes is the valve repairable?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 12-23-07, 11:36 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello xiar68 and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and to the Gas Appliances topic.

Chances are the gas control valve is defective and/or the glow igniter (HSI) is weak. I suspect the glow igniter is weak. If that part was not replaced within the last several years, replace it now.

If the glow bar igniter is glowing and the burner fails to light, most likely the glowing hot surface igniter (HSI) is too weak to provide enough of an ignition source. Replacing the glow igniter will resolve the problem.

A hot glowing surface igniter, working correctly, will glow an intense bright yellow orange in color. Any reddish color or a dull orange color indicates the (HSI) glow igniter is weak.

The glow igniter may appear to be glowing brightly and hot enough but likely is not. And the temp must be a lot hotter then you mentioned. Much hotter.

Try this trick. When the existing igniter has been glowing for several minutes, tap the gas valve with the back end of a screw driver or similar device. If the gas valve opens and burner flames appear, HSI is too weak or the gas valve is worn out. If nothing happens try again. Slightly harder tap.

I suggest replacing both HSI and gas control valve. Especially if gas valve was never replaced and the HSI was replaced prior or never before. Try only the igniter if the above trick fails to work at all or the gas valve opens.

Retail parts dealers and appliances parts stores can also help determine what the possible problem may be based upon that specific brand and model. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers and appliances parts stores are listed in the phone book.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in this thread.

Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 01-28-08, 09:01 AM
X
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you very much for your prompt advice.

I did recheck the temperature of the HSI, it must be well over 450 (the max I have the thermometer)
It damaged my thermometer, by the way :-) really.
So I ruled that out.
I tapped on the valve in less then a minute after the oven was turned on, it ignited quick and fast.
So I know where to look.
There is a problem in Montreal, Quebec, we have very few places to look for these parts and most of them charge their house mortgage for these things.
One store asked about 200 $ for the valve only (oven cost 400$)
That's why I was wondering if the valve could be cleaned and repaired.
Thanks again.

Old 01-28-08, 09:33 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: xiar68

The temperature of an HSI glow igniter cannot be checked with a thermometer. The HSI's temp is much to high (Hot) for a thermometer.

Regardless of the igniter's color or temp, replace it as the first attempt to fix the problem. Hot surface igniter's wear out as a result of normal usage.

Amazing the existing one lasted for as long as it did...(12-15 years old.) Unless it has been replaced before...??? Or the oven isn't used often.

Gas control valves are a non serviceable nor repairable part. They can only be replaced. Often best to replace them and the HSI at the same time. Which is what is often done be service repairs agencies or appliance repair companies here in the states.

If cost is a factor in Montreal, Quebec, may want to call Maytag. Link and number for Canada below.

Maytag Appliance Home Page:
http://www.maytag.com
Maytag 1-800-688-9900 USA
Maytag 1-800-688-2002 Canada
Maytag is also the maker of Amana, Jenn-Air, Magic Chef and Caloric Appliances.

Regards and Good Luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: