Amana gas range is not hot enough

Old 12-23-07, 11:15 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Amana gas range is not hot enough

Our older Amana range (came with the house we bought) does not burn hot enough.

water comes to a mild boil, the kettle makes a very weak whistle (instead of something like the ear piercing shriek we had on our electric stove at the old house), and it's really hard to burn the food (not always a bad thing )

I've checked the flames, if anything they seem a bit 'fat' (this is the first gas range I've used). The flames are all blue (I adjusted the air mixture thingy so that they are just this side of having a yellow tip).

there are flames all around the burners, although they are not quite even - some sides have thicker flames and maybe a slight bit longer.

none of the 4 burners seem to heat enough. we are at sea level and the house is kept reasonably warm. the oven works fine and heats up quite quickly compared to our electric unit (i had to replace one of the ignitors, but searched this forum and found the info! )

Is there any other adjustments I can check?

thanks

henri

Old 12-24-07, 01:07 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello henri. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Since the oven seems to work properly, the top burners may need to be adjusted to obtain slightly larger flames. This can be accomplished by turning the orifices.

Burner orifices are the brass or bronze hex head nuts the burners sit on, close the the valves. When looking down onto them, turn the nut to the right to enlarge the flame.

This may take several turns but do not enlarge the flames to much. Doing so will cause odors and soot to form on pots and pans. No yellow flames should be visible either.

Some orifices cannot be adjusted. They are pre-set. Try the above and note the results. Then use the reply button to update your post with the results.

Web Site Host, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics and Repair Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely. "The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: