Power outage now gas oven won't work????

Old 12-28-07, 04:21 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Power outage now gas oven won't work????

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and just need some help....
We had a power outage the other night and now the oven or the broiler won't come on. We have a Whirlpool Super Capacity 465 gas unit. I have unplugged it and let it set for a while and it all the controls will work, but nothing happens in the oven. Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance....

Kyle

Old 12-28-07, 05:31 PM
T
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
I had an older oven that had "Start" and "Stop" knobs attached to the clock - you didn't happen to push one in accidentally when setting the time ?

Old 12-29-07, 04:54 AM
L
Nope, my unit has just digital controls. We check the time and all the setting and we can't see anything wrong whit the setting.

Old 12-29-07, 08:17 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Hello Kyle and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and to the Gas Appliances topic.

May be coincidental to the power outage that the hot surface igniter (HSI) failed. Since unplugging the appliance failed to reset the circuit board, the main board or touch pad may be defective.

If you're handy with small hand tools, have and know how to use a volt meter, you can test for electrical current at the wire terminals leading to the HSI.

Disconnect the quick disconnect terminal and test for current at the leads. Should be full house current there. Between 110-125 volts AC.

If there is current, the HSI failed. Replace it. If there isn't current and you're sure the test method is correct, likely the touch pad or main circuit board is defective.

If you're not able to test for current but able to replace the igniter, do so. May or may not resolve the problem.

Retail parts dealers and appliances parts stores can also help determine what the possible problem may be based upon that specific brand and model. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers and appliances parts stores are listed in the phone book.

Read The Sticky Help Note In This Topic:
Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites. http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 12-29-07, 03:33 PM
L
Hello, Sharp Advice.

What if both the broiler and bake does not come on? Does that mean the touch pad or main circuit board is defective?

Thanks for the response,

Kyle

Old 12-30-07, 08:09 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Does your touch pad allow you to set your oven to a "timed bake" setting?, as a previous poster alluded to?

If so, you never know but somehow it maybe got onto that setting. (No instruction manual, eh?)That is exactly what ranges do when they erroneously get set to "timed bake" instead of being in "manual' mode: Neither element comes on, yet the range burners still work.

It could be some other mechanical or electrical failure, as stated, but it's odd how this happened after power went out.

Old 01-01-08, 05:13 PM
L
Smile

Hi ecman51,

I hope you had a great New Year day. It's unfortunate that we don’t have a owner manual, I have tried to get one from Whirlpool and they do not have one listed on their web site. I have a Super Capacity 465 range with digital controls. The stove is about 7 years old; we got it with our home when we bought it new. Does it have to have a selection for this on the touch pad? Our pad only has the bake, broil, timer set and the self clean option.

Thanks for you time in this matter.

Kyle

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: