Norge Oven Won't Heat Up

Old 01-24-08, 07:09 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Norge Oven Won't Heat Up

Hello,

All of a sudden my oven won't heat up. I removed the bottom plate and noticed my oven ignitor is not glowing.

The broiler works fine, and lights.

I re-heated pizza last night and set off the alarm, cheese melted onto the floor pan and burnt a little bit.

I don't think it plugged the oven burner tube or the oven ignitor.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-08, 06:38 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Chris and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and to the Gas Appliances topic.

If the ovens hot surface igniter (HSI) isn't glowing, chances are it's burned out as a result of normal usage. Be sure all the ovens selections and settings are set correctly first.

Usually, even when worn out, an HSI will still glow. At other times they simply burn out and fail to glow at all. Replace the ovens HSI and it will likely resolve the problem.

As a test, you can try this first. Remove the broilers igniter and install it into the oven. If the igniter glows, the oven igniter you removed is burned out.

Leave the igniter you switched from the boiler into the oven as it is. Buy at new HSI and install it into the broiler.

Install the new igniter exactly as you found the existing igniter. Be advise that some new replacement igniter's do not come with quick disconnect ends. In this case, it's OK to cut off the quick disconnect from the old igniter and attach it to the new igniter.

Simply clip off the wires several inches above the disconnect on the old igniter, attach to the wires of the new igniter and wire nut the two ends together. Repeat the process to attach the other wire and wire nut that wire together. There is no positive nor negative polarity to be concerned with.

Position the new hot surface igniter exactly as you find the existing one attached. Double check all electrical connections before turning the power back on or plugging in the appliance.

If it is required to remove the burner, be sure it too gets installed exactly as you find it now. The end of the burner tube with the air shutter adjustment must be installed back onto the gas valves bronze or brass orifice.

Glowing hot surface igniter's are fragile & break easily. Handle and install the new igniter carefully. Glowing hot surface igniter's are a non returnable and non refundable electric component.

Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Read The Sticky Help Note In This Topic:
Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites. http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in this thread.

Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."