GE Dryer Heats On High-But Medium Intermittent

Old 01-28-08, 11:09 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question GE Dryer Heats On High-But Medium Intermittent

Hello...

I have a GE dryer model DDG7080SBLAA, that is 14 years old‏. I started noticing that it would fail to heat up intermittently in the past couple weeks. I opened the machine up and cleaned it thoroughly, hoping that would fix it. It has not.

Tonight, I ran a load on "medium heat - timer" and it ran hot for that cycle. I stopped it after about 50 minutes to check on the clothes. Since they needed a little more time, I restarted the machine, but now the igniter does not glow orange during this start up. (I am looking down the now open top of the machine.) I tried it 5-6 times, no glow. Then I switched it over to the other cycle called "high heat" which uses a dryness sensor I believe. Now the igniter does glow orange and ignition and flame start.

So to prove the cause and effect, I stop it, and switch back to medium heat and it repeatedly fails to glow orange. I switch it back to high heat and it glows orange and the flames ignite.

It might be true that the medium heat cycle does not ignite, once the dryer is already hot, but that the high heat cycle will ignite regardless.
Any ideas?

It is so much appreciated.
John

Old 01-29-08, 07:20 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello John. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

The low heat sensor, located on the blow fan housing, may be defective or the temperature selection switch on the control panel, may be defective.

Check with a local appliance parts store in your area. They sell the parts and usually have service agents to fix the machines or sell the parts to local repair companies. Likely they would know which part is more likely to be defective.

Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs or services. Always check for gas leaks whenever moving the appliance and/or a service or repair includes any connection of a gas part.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in this thread.

DRYER SERVICE TIP:
It's always advisable to clean the entire exhaust venting system every 2 years. Or during any dryer maintenance, replacement and or repairs.

Old 01-29-08, 07:50 AM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi Sharp Advice...

When you say the "low heat sensor", do you mean the low heat themostat?"

Does anyone else have any ideas of what would cause this situation?

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: