Gas shut off valve?

Old 02-01-08, 05:17 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Gas shut off valve?

So the gas man came to my mother's house & replaced a shutoff valve for the gas stove she has. This is her stove in her kitchen. The valve is just a 1/2" flare fitting ball valve. The gas company originally charged her $197.53 for this vavle That is just for the valve not the installation. I called them up to complain. They called today and said they made a mistake and it was only $60 foir the valve. Am I mistaken or isn't that still an awful lot of money for just a ball valve? Thanks Tim

Last edited by TimH; 02-01-08 at 05:19 PM. Reason: to add more info
Old 02-01-08, 07:34 PM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Probably under $20 for a ball style at a hardware store. I'm not going to try and explain their cost either way.

Old 02-02-08, 01:44 AM
T
They also charged her $150 to install it. That I can see because of liability but to charge $197 for a $15 ball valve sounds like they are trying to screw over an old lady. Even $60 is alot. What ever happened to honesty?

Old 02-02-08, 06:49 AM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
As already been stated, the valve could have been purchased at the local hardware store for under $20. In fact, it's listed on this website for $10.09! Some companies like to mark up prices on the steep side.

What was the cost for the installation of the valve?

Old 02-02-08, 09:43 AM
T
Originally Posted by hankhill6018
As already been stated, the valve could have been purchased at the local hardware store for under $20. In fact, it's listed on this website for $10.09! Some companies like to mark up prices on the steep side.

What was the cost for the installation of the valve?
$150 for install. The point to me is there has to be max mark up for something like this.

Old 02-02-08, 05:34 PM
H
OK, so if I got this right, you paid $150 for the labor of the gas shut off and $60 for part? There has to be something else going on there!

Most of the gas companies in my area (including one's I've worked for) would have charged 1 hour labor (minimum service charge) which is approx $85.00 plus the cost of the valve (with a mild markup) which is, say $25.00 for the sake of argument.

Doing the math, that's half the price you paid. Something is not right. But then again, I don't have to tell you that.

Old 02-03-08, 05:21 AM
T
Ok so up till now I have been going on memory. I have the original bill in my hand.

Labor 1.75 hrs @ $90/hr = $157.50
Parts 1/2 ball valve = $197.52

My mother literally called me up crying. So I called up the gas company and said you must have made a mistake on the price of the valve. It is a 1/2" ball valve that I can get at my local HVAC store for $11 ( I went to the store & priced it ) The valve really only needed to be 3/8" but I imagine 1/2" was what they had on the truck so maybe a wee bit more in price plus a couple of reducers. On the invoice they call the valve "Control Gas Valve 1/2 MV. Big name for a 1/2" ball valve. No other valves between tank & stove so no mistaking it. After 3 weeks of calling and the serv ice manager talking it over with his superior, they reduced the price of the valve to $60. I said to my mother they are still screwing her. She is afraid they won't service her if I keep making waves. I said there are other gas companies and we'll go to one of them. My next inclination is to call a consumer protection agancy but thats not really the avenue I want to take.

So do you think I'm wrong being mad about this charge?

Old 02-03-08, 06:43 AM
H
No, you are not wrong about the charges. They screwed up.

I suspected that they charged you for a gas control valve as opposed to a shut off valve. A gas control valve (1/2 MV should be 1/2 volt or 500 MV). THis is the control on a furnace or water heater that the burner is attached to. $200 is about the right price for that.

A shut off valve (with 1/2 inch connections) is what your mom had replaced. Even with markup it should not be $60.

I suspect that they dropped the original $200 to $60 still thinking that the tech replaced a gas control valve.

The 1.75 hours labor I wouldn't put up a fight about not knowing what the tech had to do. For example, if he was looking for the source of a gas odor and replaced the valve 2 hours @ $90/hour is realistic.

Old 02-03-08, 01:44 PM
T
I had no beef witht eh labor charge. They had to find the leak.

I suspected in the beginning that they charged for a solenoid actuated valve. The problem is tha, the guy I am dealing with is customer service and not a repair tech. So terms like "Manual ball valve" and "solenoid valve" don't mean much to him. I just have to decide whether to continue the battle or not.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: