Hooking up 2 to 3 Appliances to LP

Old 02-12-08, 10:33 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hooking up 2 to 3 Appliances to LP

Hi,

I currently have one gas range connected to a 50 gal propane tank. The previous owner of my house connected it with copper pipe (looks like 3/8"). I want to install an additional gas range in my house.

What is the best way to connect the second range? Do I split the line in the house before it reaches the other range or do I branch off outside just off the tank? Both ranges are about 30 feet from the tank.

Is a 50 gal tank large enough? In the future I would also like to connect a gas dryer. Is the 50 gal tank large enough for all three appliances?

Thank you for your time. This is my first time on the site and I am very impressed with it. What a great service.

Sincerely,

Pablo

Old 02-12-08, 01:48 PM
H
The good news is the 50 gallon tank should be enough for the 3 appliances. The bad news is 3/8 inch OD copper tubing is not.

I just had a service call with similar circumstances. With 2 ranges hooked up to the propane supply with 3/8 inch tubing, the customer was only getting about 3/4 the required pressure for the appliances to run properly.

There are two ways to remedy this:

1) Replace the existing gas line with something more suitable. I would not go with anything less than 1/2 inch iron pipe size.

2) Have your propane supplier convert what is likely a 1/2 pound system to a 2 psi system. This will utilize the same gas line but increase the pressure entering the house then dropping it down to a working pressure at the appliances.

Old 02-12-08, 02:02 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Ill go with the gas line size has to be bigger. Also with 3 units on at the same time . No that 50 gal tank wont do it. If its cold outside it cant burn off the gas as fast to give gas to 3 units .Tank 30 ft from the home. You can put a little joe regulator on the tank run that 3/8" line to the home and a new low regulator then go with 1/2" line and 11" W/C to the ranges

Old 02-22-08, 09:16 AM
L
Ed and Hank (I love King of the Hill!),

Thanks so much for your replies. That gives some ideas on my options and where to go next. I do have another question but will post that separately. Since I live in a duplex with my inlaws it might make sense to have two separate tanks in stead.

Sincerely,

Pablo

Old 02-22-08, 09:29 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Since I live in a duplex with my inlaws it might make sense to have two separate tanks in stead.
THATS FOR SURE

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: