Help with replacement material for a discontinued light oven gasket

Old 02-14-08, 11:33 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help with replacement material for a discontinued light oven gasket

I'm trying to find out what I can use to do the same job as the discontinued gasket for my gas oven's interior light (please see link below). It needs to withstand the high temperature inside the oven without letting out any harmless fumes due to heat exposure. I have found sheet of Hi-Temperature Gasket Material (non asbestos) that is used for carburetors, water pumps, oil pan, fuel pump, etc at a local hardware store but Iím not sure if it is safe to use in the oven. BTW, can i do without the gasket?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

http://www.repairclinic.com/SmartSea...6442&PPStack=1

Old 02-15-08, 07:23 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: SC_Guy

You might want to ask this question in person at a local appliance parts store. Ask them what the local repair techs use as a replacement material. Most likely or maybe the same gasket material you're thinking of using or one similar.

I would not suggest not using any gasket at all. I'm sure the gasket or a gasket material is required. As a make shift DIY repair, automotive gasket material may be used, I guess.

Automotive gasket material should not pose any temp problems as the material will not melt nor likely deteriorate due to the ovens internal heat. Might be a solution to the problem. Never know until tried...

Old 02-18-08, 10:57 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you, Sharp Advice! I had tried a few local appliance parts stores before posting here since they could not offer any help. But then again I never talked to a repair tech guy directly. I'll try again and post here once I have a proven solution so others may benefit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: