control of temperature in old Glenwood gas range

Old 02-26-08, 02:43 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
control of temperature in old Glenwood gas range

I searched the forum and found a post that was part of the answer, but not enough help to me. Sorry to be redundant.

We moved into an old house in 1998 and the stove in place was an older model Glenwood gas range. Not an antique, just an older modern type stove. The range works well enough except one very disturbing problem. About half the time when you use the oven, the temperature will hold steady at the assigned temperature... IF you do not set it above abut 375 degrees. The other half the time, or if you try to set it above 375, the temperature just keeps going up infinitely, burning whatever you have in the stove, setting off smoke alarms, and scaring you to death. For years, if it stopped at temperature you could feel confident it would stay there for the duration of that cooking session. In the past year even that is not a certainty. So you simply cannot leave the kitchen even for a minute or two when something is in the stove.

Now you're thinking.... "well, why don't you just replace the temperature gauge?" Here's the problem. My housemate owns the house, but sleeps during the day, so I usually deal with repair folks. When we first moved in our appliance guy Armando- who is terrific- looked at the stove for me and told me that we needed to have the gas company come in and replace the regulator. So that's what I was going to do. But the owner thinks that is not logical. He thinks it's the temperature gauge that should be replaced. But since there are conflicting opinions, he chooses to do nothing while the stove becomes- in my opinion- more and more dangerous, to the point of being unusable.

Does anyone have advice as to what might be causing this problem? Or with Glenwood gas ranges particularly? I would be very grateful for advice. We can't really afford a new stove, nor to bring in to different repair persons.

Sorry to be such a dolt, , but I think if I have advice from folks who know what they're doing, which I can show the owner, he will allow me to proceed with the repair.

many many thanks!!!

Karen

Old 02-26-08, 02:57 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Kay-wren and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and to the Gas Appliances topic.

Temperature control is almost always a factor of the thermostat. Not a regulator. A regulator is the part that controls gas volume and flow. A thermostat controls oven temperature. Just so we know the differences and we are both on the same channel here...

Based upon the symptoms of attempting controlling the oven temperature, the most likely and most often cause is a worn out thermostat. The internet bellows that open and close become worn out and dried out over long time spams.

When that happens, temperature control becomes more difficult to accurately control or regulate. Only solution is to replace the thermostat with a new one.

Based upon the problem description with the temp being controlled above 375, no calibration adjustment will resolve the problem. T-Stat is worn out and has to be replaced.

Retail parts dealers and appliances parts stores will have or can order the T-Stat. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers and appliances parts stores are listed in the phone book.

Cautionary Reminder Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first and then be sure to turn off the gas supply to the entire appliance.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in this thread.

Old 02-26-08, 05:53 PM
K
thanks!... and two more questions

Thanks Sharp Advice!

May I ask two more questions.

How can I tell what model of range we have so I can get the correct thermostat... or is that a universal item? All I've been able to find is the generic Glenwood title on the backsplash, and the gas connection is tight and rigid enough that I can't move the appliance to look on the back. It's 30" white enamel with light gray lettering. A very simple stove with 4 burners and no bells and whistles... not even a timer.

And... is the replacement of the thermostat something we can do ourselves, or is it best done by a professional?

Many thanks for your help.

Gratefully,

Karen

Old 02-27-08, 07:48 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: Karen

Thermostats are not a universal item. There are several different types and styles. And each type varies in the other functions it controls besides temperatures. Some only control oven temps, while others control several functions.

Some thermostats are simple controls while others are more complex. Some thermostats control the pilot flame size. Some control burner flame size and some control all three.

Depending upon that brand (Glenwood) and model type determines which T-Stat it contains and what functions it controls. Most likely that T-Stat controls the constant pilot flame size as well as the temperature.

It may also control the burners flame size and if equipped the burners standby flame size as well. Most likely the brand is a Robert-Shaw control but may be another. Which would be indicated in the model number on the rating plate.

The rating plate can be located almost anywhere. Very likely and more commonly in the brand located beneath the lower oven plate. Very bottom of the inside cabinet, or on the oven frame or under the top burner lid in one of the corners. You'll need to search around to locate it.

Once found, write down the numbers are go to a local appliance parts store with the information. They are best at determining what brand and model T-Stat will replace the existing T-Stat. Which may or may not be exactly the brand the appliance now has but will be one that replaces it.

If you're not handy with small hand tools,may be best to have a professional install the thermostat. Some can be rather difficult and tricky to install by a do it yourself person.

T-Stat are not a returnable nor refundable part. Once purchased it cannot be returned if it does not work, or is installed correctly or not correctly. Very unlikely will any thermostat be warrantied either, unless installed by a service agent of an appliance repair company, etc.

Hope all the above answers all your questions and provides you with info needed before any attempt is made to fix the problem yourself...

Old 02-27-08, 09:49 AM
K
you've been an invaluable help

Dear Sharp Advice (are you a person or a committee?)

Your advice in both cases has been crystal clear. I'll endeavor to find the pertinent serial and model information and discover which part is the correct one. Then I'll ask Fernando if he feels he can install it or if I should engage someone else. I am pretty handy with a tool, but find working on gas appliances a bit scary, so will have someone else install the part.

I'm very grateful for the quick and excellent advice. We have "home repair" books, but they were not helpful in this case.

If this wasn't a virtual interaction I would be handing over the first plate of cookies made after the thermostat is changed. Instead, I'll send this

crumiri... Italian cornmeal cookies

Many thanks!

Karen

Old 02-27-08, 10:23 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hi: Karen

I am a committee of one... A real person. I can assure you of that....and a cookie lover too.... YUM YUM. Thanks much....

Glad to be able to help you with some hopefully helpful advice.

Now. Who's Got The MILK??? Ha Ha...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: