How to fix gas oven?

Old 03-01-08, 01:40 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to fix gas oven?

My Glenwood gas oven pilot stays lit however it will not always start the oven. How do I fix this?

Thanks,
Tim

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-08, 02:54 AM
H
When you attempt to turn on the oven, does the pilot get larger (it should). If it does, the problem is likely with the oven safety. If it does not, the problem is either a bad thermostat or possibly a restriction in the pilot tubing for the secondary pilot.

Old 03-02-08, 02:58 PM
T
How to fix gas oven?

The pilot got larger for ten tries however the oven would not light. Where is the oven safety and how do you change it?

Then the pilot stopped getting larger. How can you tell if there is a restriction in the pilot tubing?
And how do you change the thermostat?

I'm also wondering if it's worth investing in the parts?
Glenwood 20"W x 26"D x 36"H
Model GAP22A0
Ser# 1799655/5351

Thanks,
Tim

Old 03-02-08, 05:14 PM
H
I can't say whether or not it would be worth investing in the parts as I don't know off hand of the price or availability of parts for your particular model. Do you know approximately how old the range is?

Regardless, the oven safety is located under the burner. If you look at the pilot assembly there will be a sensor in the flame. There is a capillary attached to the bulb sensor that leads to the oven safety. To remove it you will likely have to remove the oven burner.

You may be able to access the thermostat be removing the top of the range. There is likely a tube going to the oven burner that will need to be disconnected and there will be a wire going to the thermostat sensor that will need to be removed with the thermostat.

Be sure the gas is shut off to the range when attempting any repairs.

Old 03-02-08, 05:37 PM
T
How to repair my gas oven?

Is there any place to get drawings of the stove to familiarize myself with the areas you refer to?

Thanks,
Tim

Old 03-03-08, 02:29 AM
H
View this web page, under Pilot Ignition System for a generic drawing of the safety valve. The thermostat is behind the knob where you adjust the temperature of the oven.

Old 03-03-08, 09:53 AM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I had this same thing happen to my Magic Chef oven. What I found was some crusty white stuff around the pilot flame. This 'stuff' diverted the flame just a little so it didn't heat the sensor properly.

I took a small wire brush and gently removed the gunk and all was fine.

Worth a look.

Baldwin

Old 03-11-08, 08:48 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I usually would hold a couple of matches under the cap tube (mounted at the tip of the pilot) to get it hot. If the burner comes on it would appear the pilot orifice is restricted, meaning it was not getting the cap tube hot enough to open valve. However it is not uncommon for the thermostat to fail.