Weber BBQ Problem

Old 03-30-08, 03:19 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Weber BBQ Problem

I have a Weber Genesis Gold C which i bought in 2000. I had it running on LP i just converted over to gas so i wanted to convert the bbq over as well. I ordered replacment manifold from weber for natural gas put it in and it works perfect on natural gas problem is the side burner. They sent me a replacement valve and hose for natural gas but the newer one is too tall for the side burner. I called weber they spoke to the engineering department and it seems that the NG valve and hose for the side burner is discontinnued. They told me i could probably use my old one but the orifices need to be drilled out and they said i should bring it to a gas or bbq place. I called around and nobody does that in my area. My question is is this something i can do myself. Is there only one orifice weber says there is more then one orifice in the valve i think they are wrong. I see the orifice which is the thing that screws in and shoots into the burner tube. Any advice?

Old 03-30-08, 03:37 PM
R
I forgot to ask any recommondations on drilling out the orifices and is it ok to use reg drill bits?

Old 03-30-08, 04:14 PM
H
There is no reason that the orifice(s) can't be drilled out. Unfortunately I do not know if there are one or two.

If you are going to attempt to drill them out on your own, I do not recommend using standard drill bits. The drill bits to ream out orifices vary in diameter from one size to the next anywhere from 2 to 5 thousandths of an inch (0.002 to 0.005 inch) increments.

If you can post the BTU load of the burner (LP), I should be able to convert it to the applicable Natural gas load and tell you the recommended orifice size.

Old 03-30-08, 04:30 PM
R
Side burner says it is 10,000 btu's for lp so what size orifice and drilll bit should i use? Would it do any damage to increase the btu's a little to get better heat from the side burner? Is there a chart or something which says the drill bit size and relates it to btu's. I was looking at my drill bits and the smallest one i have is 5/64 or .078 if i drill it out to that size how many btu's would that give me?

Last edited by Rschrei518; 03-30-08 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-31-08, 07:54 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Rschrei518

Maybe I can shed some light on the subject. Just happen to have a Btu drill bit conversion chart handy...

For a ten thousand Btu burner size, the chart shows a number 54 drill bit size can be used. Which is slightly undersized (but 8,650) for the burner flame size. Based on a gas pressure of 3.5 inches of water column pressure from the appliance regulator. Which is very likely to be the gas pressure of the regulator.

A number 53 drill bit would equal 10,100 Btu's at 3.5 inches of gas pressure out of the appliances regulator. Slightly over sized Btu rate but may be ok to use.

Number 54 drill bit at 4.0 inches of water column (W/C) would be used to obtain burner Btu rate of 9,250.

Number 53 drill bit size for 10,800 Btu's at 4.0 inches of water column gas pressure. Slightly over sized Btu rate. Which may be too much flame size. Which would create yellow flames and sooting.

Theory here is not to drill out any orifice too large on the first resizing. Until one knows exactly what the out come will be. If an orifice is over sized and causes yellow flames, odors and/or sooting, it will have to be replaced.

W/C pressure amount should be printed or stamped into the regulator or the rate plate. Look for it. If unable to locate, always safe to assume the pressure is 3.5 inches of W/C.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: