amana oven not lighting

Old 03-30-08, 06:37 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
amana oven not lighting

i have a amana arg7800ww when i try to turn the oven on there is a flame in the rear under the cover at the bottom of the oven but the oven does not light. i can get it to light by first turning on the broiler and letting it heat up the oven for about 15 to 20 min. then caceling the broiler and turning the oven on and setting the temp. the temp will drop but eventually the oven will lightand the temp will go up.it may take a few min or up to an hour to light. everthing else seems to work fine (burners and broiler).we think that it could be the igniter switch but thats just guessing. any help would be appreciated
thanks, toni

Old 03-31-08, 08:06 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Toni and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and to the Gas Appliances topic.

Making an assumption that the oven and broiler both have their own spark igniter. Spark igniter clicks and lights a pilot flame. Which in turn then heats a safety element in the pilot assembly.

If the above is correct, pilot flame may only need to be cleaned out to obtain a hotter flame to heat the safety element. Blow out the pilot assembly using a can of compressed air. Same type of can air used to clean a computer keyboard will work fine.

If doing the above does not resolve the condition, very lightly the safety element in the pilot assembly needs to be replaced.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: