Gas leak at oven control knob....

Old 04-14-08, 09:33 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas leak at oven control knob....

Replaced the control valve/temp. probe for my Sterling brand oven this past weekend.

I am now getting the smell of gas from around the knob when turn the gas supply back on. I've used pipe dope on the control valve line fitting, but I'm still getting a gas smell.

Since I installed a new valve, do I also need to cut off the old compression fitting from the line and intsall a new one to go with the new valve?

Any tips would be great. I'm getting tired of pulling the oven in and out of the cabinet and taking it apart to access the valve fitting.

Thanks!

Old 04-14-08, 11:55 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello hiredgun. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic.

When installing any new part that uses an inlet gas supply tube, usually aluminum tubing, it is highly recommended to always replace the ferrule nut with a new one.

If you have not already done so, try it. More often then not, tiny leaks will be present immediately after installations or result some time soon after an installation. Which may apply in your case, since the odor is present once the gas supply is turned on.

Some times but not always, simply tightening up the nut will allow compression of an existing ferrule nut. Not the suggested method but might be worth a try in this case, if the part is already installed.

Be sure to hold the T-Stat while tightening up the hex nut further. Must avoid damage to T-Stat and tubing. Once that is done, then soap test for leaks around the tubing nut and the other end of the tubing where it connects to the supply.

Although it is possible but often a rare instance, a new part may leak too. Sometimes as a result of not enough care taken during installations and/or poor workmanship on the part by the manufacturer.

Soap test around the center of the T-Stats stem and rotating core securing clamp. If a tiny leaks exists there, the part is defective and would need to be replaced, if possible.

Not all retailers offer replacements when parts are not installed by a servicing agent and or repair service company, etc. Return and or replacement polices vary widely.

Hope the above offers the advice needed.

Old 04-14-08, 12:15 PM
H
Thank you for the tips. I have tried mixing up a solution of dish soap and water to test for leaks, but didn't see anything.

I phone ordered the new vlave from a sevirce center that carries parts for this oven, who then shipped it to me. If needed, I'll probably have to get a new ferrule nut from them too, since the fitting is metric.

At this point, I've called the Gas Company to come out and test for the leak. If they pin it down, I'll proceed from there.

Old 04-14-08, 12:52 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: hiredgun

A new ferrule nut, metric or SASE can be obtained at any local hardware store. All you'll need is the size or buy several sizes that seem to be of the correct size. They are not expensive.

Trick is to not cut off any more tubing then needed. Or the tube may become to short to reach. Use a pipe or tubing cutter to be sure the tube remains as perfectly round inside and outside diameters as possible.

Use a little oil, if need be on the tubing end, if new ferrule nut is too difficult to slip onto the tube. Be sure the nut is slipped onto the tube before installing the new ferrule nut.

Then securely tighten the hex nut without allowing the tubing to rotate or the T-Stat rotate.

Old 04-14-08, 01:16 PM
H
I did try my local Home Depot this morning, but it looked like everything they has was SASE. The guy working the aisle wasn't sure either that they would have what I needed.

The tube looks to be around 6mm OD. I'll give the hardware store (most likely OSH as they have a better selection) another shot.

Thanks again.

Old 04-14-08, 02:39 PM
H
Think I found what I needed at OSH.

1/4" Breakaway Nut — Secures gas line tubing to fitting.

Threads match my thermostat housing. If I'm understanding this part correctly, the ferrule nut will break loose from the threaded fitting when I tighten it down and compress on the aluminum gas tube.

Old 04-14-08, 02:57 PM
H
One more quick update. I just got a reply from the company that sold me the new thermostat and they state that the ferrule nut should not need to be replaced.

We've determined the problem to be the cork gasket that goes between the thermostat and the gas manifold.

Old 04-14-08, 05:02 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: hiredgun

YES. The ferrule nut is SUPPOSE to break away from the nut. SUPPOSE to but may not. Nut has to be tightened in very hard in some cases for the ferrule nut to break away.

If the existing old hex nut you removed from the old T-Stat still has the ferrule nut attached to it, then it did not break away during installation by the manufacturer. If the one you just installed did not break away, then the hex nut was not tightened enough to break away the ferrule nut.

At times I use to use 2 separate pieces during installation for the very reason of a failure of the break away not breaking away...LOL!

Occasionally, the entire tube hex nut & break away may be reused, if the threads are oiled and the re-installation is done very carefully. And it happens to be one of my "LUCKY" Days...

Gasket leak? So that's where the leak was... Replace the gasket per instructions and all should be OK....

Once the entire problem is resolved, kindly post back the final results. All other members reading this thread will learn from it. Thanks for posting your question too...

Old 04-14-08, 11:36 PM
H
Well, good news and bad news.

Spoke with ADCO Service Center in AZ, where I purchased my replacement thermostat. They specialize in a few models of ovens, Sterling being one of them.

Tech I talked with informed the new gasket would cost $20 with shipping. This thing isn't much bigger than a postage stamp. He recommended hitting the local auto parts store and getting some gasket material to make my own gasket. Faster and cheaper solution.

Made my own gasket, took care of the leak. However, a new problem developed. After installing the gasket, the oven now will not fire.

I get the red indicator light, but nothing else. Broiler is also not working. Not even an indicator light on the broiler.

I've got a voice mail and e-mail in to ADCO to try and determine the new problem. To say this has been a PITA is an understatement.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: