Whirlpool Gas Dryer tumbles but no heat. (pics)

Old 04-19-08, 04:53 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool Gas Dryer tumbles but no heat. (pics)

Hello,

I landed here from Google. Hopefully I could figure out this problem so that I do not have to buy a new dryer.

Basically the Whirlpool dryer (LGV7646AW0) produces no heat, however it will tumble. I came to this site and found many useful info from this excellent thread:

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159481

So I took out the lower front access panel and start looking around for basic thing, power is on, knob setting is correct, gas is there, gas valve is turned on... It looks like the Hot Surface Ignitor (HSI) is not 'glowing'. So I disconnect the two connectors (red arrows) and test w/ multimeters. I'm not sure if it should be DC or AC, but tested both anyway. I get zero voltage. So I don't think the HSI is bad. What else can I take a look?

The red wire that connects the burner assembly to the rest of the circuit seems to lead to the motor assembly and into some switch or relay device, not sure what it does:

Old 04-19-08, 05:02 PM
P
some more pics:

Some more pics: Here's the knob, at regular setting:

Hard to see, but the ignitor is back there:

Testing at 2 different test points while the dryer is running, neither has any voltage

Old 04-19-08, 06:07 PM
P
Fixed

Another forum found a solution, blown thermal fuse:

Connect the two wires together and now it's working:

Old 04-20-08, 03:59 AM
H
I'm glad you found the problem. Don't run the dryer until you get the fusible link replaced. Also see if there was a reason it tripped to begin with such as blocked vent pipe.

Old 04-20-08, 06:42 AM
P
Yeah, dirty / clogged vents are by far #1 issue for dryers. We normally keep cleaning the vents. This dryer has been running for approx 20 years now, so we couldn't be doing something too wrong.

I also ordered the 2 thermostats together w/ the fuse. It's possible one of them is stuck open / close. Might as well take care of them while I have the back open. Will also clean the blower fan when the parts came in.

Lets hope I can keep it running for many more years. I don't want to shell out for a new appliance knowing how cheaply they make it today.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: