Kenmore Gas Dryer Shuts off

Old 04-20-08, 07:16 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Post Kenmore Gas Dryer Shuts off

I have a Kenmore Gas Dryer, model number 110.70932990 that is seven years old. The problem I am having is that it will run for 5 to 15 minutes and then shut-off. I can hit the start button right after it shuts off and it will run anywhere from another 10 minutes to completing the cycle 30 minutes later. The Dryer does heat up too. I have noticed that it does this problem more often,( it does not happen all the time), on the lower settings such medium heat, or a full load. ( But not over filled). I have checked out the duct work but it was not dirty. I have seen several similiar postings, most of which say change the ignition coils, but I have the Sears service manuals and they do not mention any part by that name or even a gas valve in the index. In the index they show the Thermistor, Thermostat, and the Thermal Overload Device. Since I can start the dryer right after it shuts off and I do not hear any unusual noises, I believe the motor is fine. I have a multimeter and other basic electrical dyno equipment so I just need to know what to test, on what terminals/wires to put the leads on and how many amps, ohms or volts it should have. I also have the Sears DIY service manual which is not that great either, but does tell you were the parts are at least.

Thanks for any help.

Old 04-21-08, 08:08 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Eric1269. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

I suggest before suspecting and or replacing any parts, inspect the dryers internal areas for excessive lint buildup.

The areas of primary concerns would be the internal venting and fan blowers squirrel cage. Clean out all visible lint from these areas first, then retest dryer for normal operations.

Lint buildups in any such areas will cause an air flow restriction which in turn causes high temps. High temps will cause the overheating sensor (Thermal Overload Device) to shut the burner off to avoid a fire or burning, etc.

Another possible and more likely cause is the solenoids. (ignition coils) When one of the two solenoids gets to hot/warm, it looses it's internal connection and drops out. At this time the burner will shut off.

Another possible cause. Internal electrical connection may be lost within the motor itself. The motor may over heat and shut down. But will or may often restart and may continue to run after restarting.

Additional Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes, solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair procedures, pictorials, schematics, down loadable repair and or owners manuals which may be available online.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the most likely possible problem may be. They will need the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts and problem resolving matters. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs or services. Always check for gas leaks whenever moving the appliance and/or a service or repair includes any connection of a gas part.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in this thread.

Web Site Host, Forums Manager, Moderator Hiring and Promotions Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Read Gas Dryer Sticky Note In The Forum Topic For Additional Advice:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159481

Old 04-21-08, 07:31 PM
E
An update. My wife ran several loads of laundry today and watched carefully to see when the dryer shut-off. On several occasions it ran for 10 minutes or so and shut-off taking the timer done to zero this time. I thought I read a similiar posting with this type of problem and thought it was the solenoids too. Please confirm. I will go ahead and clean out any lint around the rest of the dryer tonight.

Also, can you tell me were the solenoids are? I cannot find them in the Sears Manual for this Dryer.

Thanks

Last edited by eric1269; 04-21-08 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Added a question.
Old 04-22-08, 06:56 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Eric

The solenoids are located on top of the gas valve.

More details will be found in the stick note here:. Posts # 1 & 5.

Pictures here: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=342633

See pictures #'s 1 + 4 + 9. The solenoids are the two black parts on top of the gas valve.

Old 04-25-08, 11:27 AM
E
Can you send me a link or tell me how to test the solenoids with a multimeter?

Thanks,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: