Propane Grill Issue

Old 05-05-08, 08:21 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Propane Grill Issue

I have the following problem. I've got a 5 burner Kenmore grill which I love. There is also a side burner on this grill. I can light any 4 burners without a problem. So, I can light three burners and the side burner or four burners in the grill, but when I light any fifth burner all the burners decrease in flame size and some go out. There is also a nasty smell (not the same as propane) that accompanies this. I've cleaned all the burners and checked for leaks in the lines -- is this a regulator problem on the grill? Has anybody seen something like this before?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-08, 08:29 PM
G
Sounds like a design flaw.
Not enough propane to power all of it.

Old 05-06-08, 05:07 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Clarification Of "Grill" Requested

Hello mmbosman and Welcome into the Gas Appliances topic.

Kindly clarify Grill.

Do you mean a BBQ Grill? Type with grates and a closing top lid used outdoors?

Or:

Do you mean a Grill that has a large flat top steel plate? Kind used for making pancakes as an example.

There is a difference. That difference could be one of the potential causes for the condition described. Example: Smothering flames do to a lack of combustion air.

Key sentence you used to describe one of the conditions was: "There is also a nasty smell (not the same as propane) that accompanies this."

Smothering flames will cause an odor. Sufficient smothering will and or could cause one or more burner flames to become totally or partially extinguished. (Odors result)

Most common causes for the condition(s) you described are a lack of fuel flow. Due to a restricted fuel supply some where in the fuel delivery system to the grill and or a defective appliance regulator.

Another question: Propane fuel from a portable 5 or 10 gallon tank bottle or from a gas line from the house?

Reason I ask this? A yard line from a house supply line may be restricted either underground or above ground, etc.

Kindly use the reply button and provide answers to the above questions so we can more accurately assist you.

Thanks.....

Old 05-06-08, 11:27 AM
M
Sorry for the lack of specifics. Yes, I do mean a BBQ Propane Gas grill that uses a grate system for cooking (also has a side burner). To be specific it is a Kenmore 16324 that I purchased 2 years ago, and at one time it all worked without a flaw. The propane is supplied from a bottle underneath the grill proper. The nasty smell does generally accompany the flames sort of puffing out. When that happens the smell occurrs.

I have soaped the lines leading from the propane bottle to the burners and no tell tale bubbles. Oddly like I wrote originally this problem occurrs whenever I attempt to light any fifth burner. If I start from the left of the grill and light 4 burners and then attempt to light a fifth all flames decrease in height and some puff out. I can try this in any sequence with the same results. Thanks for the replies.

Old 05-06-08, 02:33 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: mmbosman

Thanks for additional specific information. Helps plenty.

There may be more then one problem or condition. Some of the more common are below. Most likely a fuel flow restriction. You'll need to locate it.

Chances are the appliance regulator is restricted and or defective. Usually the vent hole gets plugged up some what which does not allow it to work properly. Restricts full fuel flow. Best solution in this case is an OEM replacement.

Another possibly cause is a restriction somewhere in the fuel delivery system. Might be the shut off valve on the propane tank isn't fully opened or the valve has a restriction or the hose has one. Not as likely but possible.

Another possible cause is a spider web likely in the orifices. Which would and/or can cause a popping sound, as the fuel burns at the air shutters and not fully at the burners.

If your handy, remove the burners. Look into the orifices if possible. Or remove them and check for obstructions. Likely to be a spider web in one or more of them.

Be sure to first close the orifices fully while counting the number of turns it takes to close them. During re installation, screw them back on to fully closed. Open them the number of turns it took to close them. Doing so will put them back where they are now.

By the way (BTW) The odor is very likely aldehyde's. Which is a product of incomplete combustion of fuel. Usually yellow flames will be visible if you can see the burners through the air intake holes from under the BBQ or any on the sides of the BBQ.

Another possible cause. The air shutters on the back end of the burners are clogged up with debris or the bottom inside of the BBQ needs to be cleaned out. Debris may be to high up restricting air flow beneath the burners, etc. All air opens must be opened and no foil used anywhere in or on the BBQ.

Old 05-12-08, 06:45 PM
L
It sounds like you have a fuel volume issue. It could come from a bad regulator, a kinked or blocked line or maybe they used too much tape at the joint where the line connects to the manifold and that is partially blocking the line.

Five burners going at one time requires a LOT of fuel. 4 burners at 12k btu and maybe 15k btu for the side burner will require that the regulator and line coming from it are in perfect working order. You may have to live with 4 burners going at one time.