Not sure about shut-off valve in older range.

Old 06-07-08, 03:55 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have a gas range from the 80's. It is Glenwood brand. I will be replacing it but I need to remove it first.

The gas supply comes up the back and into the burner area. Here there is what seems to be a shut-off valve. It has a small metal tab sticking out of one side, which looks like it was made to turn.

However, I'm not sure if this is in fact the gas shut-off. Has anyone seen this kind of thing in older stoves and is it indeed the shut off valve.

Here is the image:

Circled in Red is what I think is the shut-off valve. Circled in Blue is what I think if the connection nut and this is what I would turn to disconnect the stove from the pipe. I don;t know what the item circled in Yellow is, in case it's important.

Am I close in my thinking?

Thanks for you help and advice!!!

Old 06-07-08, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Not sure about the yellow circle, but I'm guessin a regulator. The red circle is for sure your cut-off, tho it looks more like a water main cut-off to me. Never can tell what people might use, prob standard practice back in the day.

And, yes, the blue is your breakdown point, its a union. Please do it right for the new one. I'm not an expert, but I'm thinking the valve and the union probably are not even allowed anymore.

Let the Pro's weigh in and give you some more info.

Old 06-07-08, 05:59 PM
E
Not sure about shut-off valve in older range. Reply to Thread

Thanks for that reply. I hope an expert can weigh in. Also, are these unions loosened to the right or the left?

Hope all the rust doesn't make it difficult to loosen.

Does it make sense to also shut off the gas main line in the basement while doing this?

Thanks!!

Old 06-08-08, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The unions should be a normal RH thread. You'll need a wrench on each side of it to get it loose more than likely.

Personally, yes I would shut off the main. You should replace that old valve anyway, so you'll have to shut it off. Don't forget to relight any other pilots after turning it back on.

All the plumbing experts must either be working, or hanging out on their yachts.

Old 06-08-08, 07:31 AM
E

Ha, I don't blame them.

No pilots involved not allowed in Mass.

Old 06-08-08, 02:25 PM
H
As previously explained in the red is the shut off valve, the blue is a union and the yellow is the appliance regulator. Y

ou will likely have to retro some of the plumbing as the connection on most modern ranges are at the bottom rear. If this is the case, I recommend moving the shut off to the area where the gas line penetrates the floor or wall and attach a stainless steel gas appliance connector from the shut off to the range.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: