Gas Grill won't stay lit

Old 06-17-08, 05:00 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas Grill won't stay lit

I have a great outdoors pinnacle 4 burner grill. looks identical to this one (http://bbq.about.com/od/gasgrillrevi...pr032905c.htm). I recently moved into an apartment by my college and my parents who are moving let me take their grill. So naturally first night i throw a party and bbq and the grill won't work.

The day before i took it from my parents house and I loaded it up into a friends truck on its back. Got it here and reassembled the sides and the gas tank and the thing won't stay lit. First try i thought i had it and it lit, i shut it, came back a minute later and it was gone. It wouldn't work no matter what i tried the rest of the night. The next day it worked perfectly. Then i tried later that night and it would not stay lit. Ever since then (about 3 weeks) it won't stay lit no matter what i try. Occasionally it will lite and u can see the flame, but it doesn't get to be the big flame u typically see from a grill and it doesn't stay lit for more than a couple of seconds.

Things im pretty sure it isn't:
the propane tank: ive tried two different tanks, one that i know works and a new full one just incase. both have the same issues.
the ignition system: everyone who i have talked to has tried to lite it with a match even though i have told them the thing lites just fine, it just won't stay lit

Anyway, i have fooled around with it endlessly and am baffled. I don't know much about grills so i have come here to see what you guys think. What may be wrong with it? What should i try? if you need any more information about what i have tried or about the grill please ask. Any advice is very much appreciated.

Thanks

Old 06-17-08, 06:37 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello snowbird4life. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Possible but not as likely, the gas regulator on the BBQ was removed and re-installed back wards. If that is possible and or the regulator was removed and re-installed, look at the arrow on the bottom of it. Arrow should be pointing toward the BBQ not away from it. Correct the direction of gas flow if need be.

Another possible cause is some debris has clogged up the burners when the BBQ was laid on it's back or side or during transportation. May have to remove the burner(s) and clear any obstructions in the burner tubes. Also possibly in the orifices. The brass or bronze caps on the burner valves.

Any of the possible conditions above may exist but what is puzzling is you mentioned it worked fine one day but not another. The possible conditions above not likely to allow proper operation one day but not on another....

Try the corrections above then post back the results. Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in this thread.

Web Site Host, Forums Manager, Moderator Hiring and Promotions Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 06-19-08, 11:50 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I tried cleaning out the burners and looking around and everything appears to be fine on that end. I don't see any debris that may cause any problems. Played around with it some more a lot the last few days and it still won't stay lit for longer than a second or two when it does lite.

Also, you mentioned the gas regulator. Is that the pipe that connects the tank of propane to the rest of the grill? Everything appears fine and connected correctly but maybe a problem lies there where the burners aren't getting the gas correctly? The only thing we disconnected when we moved was the end to the tank of propane and then when we got it here we reconnected it to the propane. Is there a chance that this hose is faulty or something of the sort?

Any other ideas? thanks so much.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: