How do I turn the pilot light OFF?

Old 07-21-08, 04:45 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How do I turn the pilot light OFF?

The pilot lights on my stove heat up the kitchen and waste gas. I've known several people who turned theirs off and saved on the gas bill. How do I do this? Do I need to know the exact make and model of my stove and look it up on the manufacturer's website? I called the gas company today and asked them about it - they suggested I call a plumber. Now, plumbers are smart guys, but are they right people to call about gas lines?

Old 07-21-08, 08:43 PM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
I take it your gas co doesn't make service calls? Lift up the range top, find the pilot(s) and follow the tubing back to the valve. Just don't turn off the oven pilot (if it has one) or you won't be able to use the oven.

Old 07-22-08, 07:21 AM
G
Well, mbk3, I wasn't speaking to a technician, just to whoever answers the phones, who may or may not have known the difference between a pilot light and a rutabaga. I think she was giving me the company line about " ZOMG!!1!! never ever ever touch the gas lines!!!" and I wasn't inclined to press her.

About the oven: the house I grew up in had the oven pilot light out, and we just lit it with a match, same as we did the burners. Is the line which heats the oven really so different from the lines which go to the burners?

Old 07-22-08, 08:38 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Hello: Guy Logrus

Unless the oven is presently a match light oven, which I highly doubt it is, match light oven meaning there is no constant burning pilot and you have to light the burner with a match to use it, you'll have to leave the small constantly burning pilot ON.

If the constant burning pilot light is or where turned off, the oven will not work automatically. And having a constantly burning pilot also means it is not a match light oven.

You can not manually light that burner unless the pilot light is on constantly. Turning it off will serve no purpose unless the oven/broiler will never be used again.

To use the oven/broiler, you'll have to relight the pilot each time. Not advisable. Best suggestion is to leave the oven/broiler ON.

Regarding the top burner pilots, be aware some pilot shut off screws are located beneath the pilot flames cup. Small set screw beneath flames cup holder. Look for it there, if one is not found on the aluminum gas supply tube near the gas supply's black manifold tube.

Old 07-22-08, 09:54 AM
G
Howdy there, Sharp Advice:

The way it worked for us was:
1) Turn on gas to oven or burner
2) Hold lit match near element
3) Watch the flames appear

It was only a match light oven only in the sense that we lit it with a match. It did have a pilot light, it was just that my dad shut it off. I would ask him how he did it, but he's no longer with us (no, he did not die in a gas explosion). We lived in that house for over 20 years lighting the oven and burners with a match the whole time.

Old 07-23-08, 09:24 AM
G
Thanks to both Sharp Advice and mbk3, I successfully found the turn off screw for the burner pilots. I did not see a similar screw for the oven. Maybe one exists, but I am so happy with the reduction in kitchen heat from eliminating the burner pilots that I am not going to go after the oven. My one piece of advice for others who try this: before turning off the gas, make sure you have matches on hand. If you don't perform this simple check, it could be a while before you have another hot meal.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: