30 yr old stove convert to LP?

Old 07-27-08, 06:12 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
30 yr old stove convert to LP?

A friend of mine is offering me a very small old Natural gas stove.
I'd like to know if it is possible to convert this to LP for my cabin in the country. As far as i can tell there is only ONE intake/jet on the top just under the plate that covers the burners, so it looks like this is the only Orifice I could change, assuming I could find the right part.

Because this is an old (must be 25 years? i'm guessing) is it possible to make the conversion?

thanks very much in advance for your advice.

Newbie Lex

Old 07-28-08, 06:30 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Arrow Natural Gas To Propane Gas Conversion

Hello Lex and Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic.

If the stove is currently set up to burn natural gas and currently connected to propane, the burners would burn very large, appear or actually burn yellow, because the burner orifices holes are too large. Natural gas orifices have holes sized for natural gas, which are too large for propane fuel.

To convert the stove to propane, the orifices must be either replaced or turned in wards to reduce the hole size. In some cases the orifices can be screwed opened or closed to adjust the burners flame size but not always. Some orifices are non adjustable. They turn but do nothing. In those cases, orifice replacements are needed.

On most older stoves the orifices are adjustable while on some they still are not adjustable. The orifices are the brass or bronze hex nuts onto which the burner tubes are set. There is also adjustable air shutters on each burner tube at all the burners.

To make the conversion where orifice replacement is required, the first thing you have to know is what the burners are rated at. Inside or on the stove somewhere is a plate containing all the required information. Once you have this information, write down the stoves information and visit the local retail appliance parts store for replacement parts. The appliance stores counter service person will be able to determine orifice sizes required.

Another item that will need attention, is the gas regulator. This part is located where the incoming fuel line is connected to the appliance. If the existing regulator isn't convertible between natural gas and propane, the part will also need to be replaced. Failure to convert or replace the regulator for the type of gas used will create burner operational problem, etc.

Another item the has to be set correctly is the ovens thermostat. Most of these have a set screw on the body of the thermostat near the stem behind the temp knob. The screw will be labled...N or Nat for natural gas. P or LP for propane. Turn the set screw to the type of fuel used.

Oven and broiler burner adjustment:
Flames should be not more than one inch from the outer edges of the flame spreader. The flame spreader is the flat plate the sets on top of the burner tube. Adjust the orifice in wards or out wards until the flame tips are about 1 and 1/2 inches to 2 inches in wards from the outer edges of flame spreader is ideal.

If the flames appear yellow or have yellowed tips, adjust the air shutter on the burner just above the orifice to allow slightly more air to enter. But not so much to cause flames to lift off of the burner and blow out wards with force.

An excellent source for original replacement parts is your local retail appliance parts store. Appliance parts dealers carry replacement parts for all appliances. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Read the prior postings on this fuel conversion topic, within this forum and the replies offered within them. You'll find instructions to make the conversion already in them.

"Be sure the electrical power and the gas supply to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs. Always check for gas leaks whenever the appliance is moved and/or a repair includes any connection of a gas part."

Read The Sticky Help Note In This Topic:
Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites. http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in this thread.

Regards and Good Luck. Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: