GE: Ignitor glows, but won't flame up

Old 07-29-08, 05:41 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
GE: Ignitor glows, but won't flame up

The problem with my GE gas dryer is that the ignitor glows a nice bright orange yellow, but it won't flame up. The ignitor is new (I broke the old one), and the problem is somewhat intermittent. Sometimes it'll work fine, but most of the time it won't. Where do I start diagnosing the problem?

Model: DDG6380VALWH
Serial: RF303545G

Old 07-29-08, 06:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 71 Posts
Sounds like you have bad gas coils. Replace the in pairs, Check to see if you have a circuit through the thermostats.

Old 07-30-08, 05:53 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Several Possible Causes

Hello Kestas and Welcome into the Gas Appliances topic.

Since you have already replaced the glow igniter, the gas valve or solenoids may be defective.

Shortly after the glow igniter reaches full glow, the second solenoid should click open. You'll hear the second click. If no second click is heard, the glow igniter will turn off and stop glowing. If this happens, both the solenoids {2} must be replaced.

The solenoid coils are mounted directly on top of the gas valve. Each has a wire harness assembly with a plastic quick disconnect attached. The coils must be removed and replaced.

There are two solenoids...both are on top of the gas valve. Solenoids also supply voltage to the glow coil and are part of the electrical loop.

All terminals on both solenoids must have continuity. If not, you'll need to remove them from the top of the gas valve by removing the entire gas valve assembly first.

To accomplish this task, the entire burner and gas valve usually must be removed. Then the solenoid coils can be removed from the top of the gas valve and replaced.

The gas inlet pipe to the right side of the gas valve has a tiny on/off gas shutoff valve. Turn it off, lever opposite it's current on position. The nut on the gas supply pipe near the gas valve is counter threaded, which means it turns opposite the norm to loosen it.

There will be other sheet metal screws securing the gas valve and burner assembly to the dryers base. Once the entire gas valve is removed, take it and the make, model and serial numbers of the appliance to the local appliance retail parts store.

Remove both solenoids off the gas valve body by removing the hold down cover plate and replace them both, if defective. They are sold only in matching pairs.

Or take the entire gas valve unit to your local appliance parts store and have the entire assembly and all the parts tested individually and as an assembly.

Once at the store, the salesperson can be sure the replacement parts are the correct ones. Replacing the solenoids is simple and the parts come with full instructions enclosed in the packages.

Defective Gas Valve:
Remove entire unit as an assembly. Take the entire assembly to your local appliance parts store for testing. Gas valves are not repairable. Replacement is the only option if defective.

CAUTION: Do Not attempt to repair the gas valve! This is a non repairable item!

Dryers with touch pad controls use electronic computerized circuit boards. The entire circuit board could be removed and taken to the local appliance parts dealer for testing and or replacement.

Flame Sensor:
This part is located on the burner housing. If it's defective, it will cause the glow coil to not function or cause the problem your describing. You can test this part with a continuity tester or an ohm meter. Do not solely rely on this test to prove the part is functioning correctly. The only proof positive method to be sure the part is functioning correctly, is to carefully remove the part and have the local appliance parts store person do the testing.

Be sure to unplug the power first. Each wire should be checked through it's entire length. Check each electrical connection, terminal and junction connection. Also check for loose wires between the glow coil, gas valve and every switch.

Keep in mind, that the only positive proof any part is functioning correctly, is to carefully remove the part or parts you suspect to be the potential culprit, and have the local appliance parts store person test parts to help make the final determination.

Old 07-31-08, 06:52 AM
K
Thanks for the advice. I'll go right to the coils and replace them.

I'm having some confusion when navigating through the appliance web sites with my model number. Can someone tell me which part numbers I should be buying for the two coils? I'm planning on getting them from eBay.

Old 08-10-08, 09:07 AM
K
Fixed!

I replaced the solenoid coils and all is fine. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: