Igniter won't glow

Old 08-26-08, 08:02 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Igniter won't glow

My GE oven igniter started working sporadicly. Thinking it was going AGAIN I replaced it. That did not solve my problem. Other times it would just stop working. But this time it seems like if I preheat my oven using the broiler I can get it to light. I'm not sure what tells the igniter to glow but I'm thinking that's where I have to look next. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Old 08-27-08, 06:31 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Gregv and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and to the Gas Appliances topic.

The thermostat directly controls the operation of the ovens igniter. When you're thinking you are preheating using the broiler and the oven burners hot surface igniter lights, not necessarily because of the existing heat in the oven.

More likely because of the thermostat. Going directly from off position to oven temp versus broiler first, then to oven temp may be the cause. This condition applies to manual rotating thermostat control dials.

If the oven has a digital touch pad, the touch pad may be defective and cause the sporadic condition. Or the main circuit board may be the cause.

Depends upon the controls and the model of the appliance. Not included within you post. Kindly use the reply button and add the brand name & model number.

Old 08-27-08, 07:15 AM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you so much for your response. The oven is a GE Hotpoint and the model number is RGB745BEA1CT. It does have manual rotating controls. Are you saying that the broiler does not work off the thermostat? I was under the assumption that it did which was further confusing me as to where the problem was. Looking forward to your response.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: