Kenmore Gas Range Missing Door Switch

Old 09-16-08, 08:29 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kenmore Gas Range Missing Door Switch

Hi,
I recently bought a new house and found out that the light wasn't working on my Kenmore Gas Range (model 665.75012101). I replaced the bulb, but it wouldn't go off. I didn't see a switch so I went onto sears' website. According to the diagram, there is an empty hole where the switch should be. I removed the burner control panel, but can't see the switch. I know that I can buy a new one from sears, but I can't see the wiring.
Does anyone know if it is easy to take apart the oven to see if I can find the wiring/switch? Suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 09-16-08, 03:03 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Mike and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and to the Gas Appliances topic.

Kindly excuse me. I'm a bit confused...

You stated:
the light wasn't working on my Kenmore Gas Range (model 665.75012101). I replaced the bulb, but it wouldn't go off. I didn't see a switch...
Light has no switch. (???)
No ON OFF push button? That correct?

Light doesn't work or wasn't working...???

Light always ON??

Does not turn ON??

Does not turn OFF??

Kindly use the reply button and clarify...Thanks...

Generically speaking, if there is a hole where a light switch/button should be or a switch/button was, then there should be a button there. Not just an empty hole.

Unless the former home owner removed the on/off button...???

I have never seen a residential oven that did not have a light. I have replaced many light buttons/switches and light bulb receptacles. Both manual and automatic light on/off controls on commercial ovens, etc.

Therefore, I have to assume someone removed the switch/button on that oven. ...

Cautionary Reminder Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

Read The Sticky Help Note In This Topic:
Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites. http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in this thread.

Regards and Good Luck. Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 09-17-08, 11:22 AM
M
Hi,

I haven't seen a stove without a switch either. As I stated the light wasn't working and was burned out.
I replaced the bulb and the light didn't go off.
I then went looking for the door switch. I didn't find it and checked on the website for where it was. I didn't know if there might have been some kind of rocker switch on the hinge.

There is a hole where the switch should be.
I can't see behind to determine if the switch somehow fell out. I know that I can get a replacement, but don't know if there is an easy way to get behind where the switch is to find the wires. I took of the panel holding the flame controls and can see where the back of the switch should be, but I don't see any wires. I would be tempted to just solder my own in, but I don't have a schematic.

I checked on the Sears website, but they only have a blown up parts diagram, no assembly instructions. I don't really want to disconnect the stove and totally dis-assemble it if there is an easier way.

Mike

Old 09-18-08, 07:06 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: Mike

Most, if not all, residential ovens do not have an automatic light ON feature when the door is opened. They have a manual button of some type on the front control panel. Push or a rocker type switch.

Since there is a hole for a button of either type, you will need to remove the panel it is behind and look inside. May have been removed or fell inside. No other easy method to determine why the button/switch isn't there.

IMO, you would do better, be better off and farther ahead of the project by going to a local appliance parts store and inquiring. On line web sites are okay for those whom know exactly what they need, is needed and how to install, fix, etc, IMO. Not always the best place to buy parts, IMO.

I replaced the bulb and the light didn't go off.
Light not suppose to go off or on with door opened or closed.....until button is pushed. Unless you mean off as in out. Which indicates or implies light is always on...???...

Go off means turn on??? As in providing light?
Go off means turned off??? As in providing no light?

Old 09-19-08, 06:21 AM
M
The light is always on even when you press the light switch on the control panel. That is why it burned out.

When I tried to use the self clean option, it gave me a door error. There is suppose to be a door switch.

I can see where the switch goes, in the upper right corner just below the burner controls. I can see right behind where the switch should be, but I can't see down where it would have fallen. I was hoping someone might have some insight into how to get to where I can not see. I have been avoiding removing the stove and taking the hole thing apart.

If I had a schematic, I would just take apart the top control console and solder in a new switch. What I might do this weekend is take apart the top console. I know they sometimes place schematics on the back of the panels.

Mike

Old 09-19-08, 06:48 AM
Admin Emeritus
Mike

Got it now. The light never turns off. Which would indicate the button fell inside the panel in the ON position while someone was attempting to turn it off or someone shorted out the terminals, allowing current to constantly flow to the light or someone removed the switch/button and directly connected the wires together, thus the light is always ON. Hope I correctly understand now and that issue is cleared up.

The doors locking device within the front panel, for the self cleaning mode is the only button that activates when door is closed. Let's the control device know door is closed and locked before activating the self cleaning mode. Does not turn light on nor off. However, if the switch is defective or not working properly, oven will not begin self clean mode. You'll get that error message. Totally different problem.

No matter what the case is with the light or button, you'll need to remove the front panel and investigate. Cannot avoid doing this. Any service tech would have to do too.

Be sure to unplug the appliance from the electrical power source first. Most likely you'll need to remove the burner knobs, etc, then remove some crews to remove the front control panel.

Once that is accomplished the problem can be seen, determined and resolved. No other method can be used. Have to disassemble front control panel.

If that is not done or does not seem possible to do without getting re-installation done correctly, take pictures as you do the disassembly process or make hand written notes during the entire disassembly process.

Hopefully all goes well. I'll be gone the next few days.

Regards and Good Luck.

Old 09-22-08, 02:27 PM
M
Hi,
This weekend I poked around some more. I took apart the control console, but couldn't find anything there.

I then used a flash light and saw a pair of yellow wires that appeared to go down the side, but not along with the rest of the wires. I used a coat hanger to pull the wires up. There was a white connector attached to the wires. I probed it with my DVM and found 12 VAC. I figured it was the back connector for the light switch. When I shorted the two wires, the light went out. This was the connector to the missing door switch, which I assume is still in the bowels of the oven.

I just need to get the switch from sears and that should solve my problems. The self cleaning feature will not work if it doesn't sense that the door is shut.

Thanks,
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: