gas convert from nat to lp

Old 09-18-08, 02:02 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
gas convert from nat to lp

hi fellas, im new here, ive been seeing the site and have a lot and great info. i need your help, im going to convert my GE dryer from nat gas to lp gas, i read in this page and i see that i need to replace the gas jet, (screw), i dissamble my dryer and finally i get the jet, im going to get the proper jet with a suplier, buty heres, mi quiestion, i notice that because the nat gas has a low presure and the lp higher, some guy tell me that i need to adjust the flame to my dryer, i mean carburated, he said that i need to get a blue and uniform flame, but where is the adjust? and when i found it, do i need to star the dryer to see the flame and adjust it?

the model of my dryer is DPSQ495GT4WW

thanks a lot in advance for all your help

Gerardo Zendejas.

Old 09-18-08, 02:59 PM
H
There are two, some times three things that need to be done to properly convert a dryer from natural to lp gas.

Since you know one of them already, changing the orifice (gas jet), you are correct in stating the pressure needs to be adjusted. The necessary parts will be in the conversion kit for your dryer.

In addition to the orifice, there will be a replacement vent limiter in the conversion kit. This is a small round brass screw with a plastic pin attached. This will go into approximately the top of the gas control (at the base of the burner). You will need to remove the old vent limiter and replace it with this one.

Additionally, some dryers require the air shutter to be adjusted. Sometimes there is a pre-set shutter to be added on to the existing one. Other times the existing will need to be manually adjusted. Follow the directions that will be included with the conversion kit as to the specifics of your dryer.

Old 09-18-08, 03:15 PM
G
thanks a lot for your help, ok now i know that i need to do another two steps, i was so wrong, im glad to ask first, this afternoon im going to get the convertion kit, so maybe tomorrow im going to ask you again some directions

thanks a lot and i let you know tomorrow if i have another question when i ready have the conv kit.

Old 09-18-08, 06:26 PM
G
well finally i get the convertion kit, its a generic one, the sales man said that this kit will work in any gas dryer, well it has a vent limit like you said with a plastic pin but my sorprise was that this kit has two orifice (jets) one said the instructions is for use with gas butane it has an a 55 number stamped on it, and another one to use with propane gas and has an a 54 number stamped on it, now i have no clue wich one i need to install i know i have a L.P gas in my home, but wich one kind of gas it is? wich one is the rigth choice???

Old 09-19-08, 12:40 PM
H
In most cases "lp" gas is propane in which you use a #54 orifice. There are places in the warmer climates that use butane. Seeing you live in Mexico, I am honestly not sure what the norm is there. A call in to your gas supplier may be in order.

Old 09-19-08, 01:17 PM
G
thanks, actually yesterday i look at the local gas suplier home page, and in that they said that the L.P. gas that they sale, is a mix of the both gases, is the result to liquate the petroleum and is some mix of propane and butane gases, so im really lost here what can i do? also i know that the propane gas has a better resistance to freeze at a cold climate condition.

so can i use the propane orifice?

Old 09-20-08, 09:21 AM
H
I did a little research and my sources indicate that because of the mix and climate, you likely have primarily butane in the mix. Therefore, I would use the butane #55 orifice.

Old 09-23-08, 01:44 PM
G
thanks a lot, i will do that and use the butane orifice, actually i have another question for you, my mom have an a EASY dryer that doesnt dry the cloth, the trouble beggine when a guy make the nat gas to lp gas convertion, so i suspect there is a problem because an improper convertion method, that guy only change the orifice and adjust the bolt inside the vent limiter he make seome adjust to the bolt in there, and reinstall the non pin vent limiter, i suspect maybe this is the problem, the dryer start, and you can hear the burner start and inside the drum the cloth take some heat but is doesent enough to dry the cloth, what do you think???

Old 09-24-08, 04:17 AM
H
Several things could be causing this problem. It could be the conversion but I find it unlikely. Other issues causing this could be a heat sensor or thermostat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: