Flame in vent pipe

Old 09-18-08, 02:12 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Flame in vent pipe

Have successfully completed installation of Maytag gas dryer. But, while dryer was running, I found myself looking for any problems... I noticed that I could see flame coming out of the dryer into the vent...The vent pipe was very hot until the flame stopped... is this normal.. the pipe was only hot at the bottom. Thanks for any advice.. and I know I may be a nervous nelly.

Old 09-18-08, 02:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Where are you looking in the back vent or someplace else??

Old 09-18-08, 04:29 PM
S
I am looking at the bottom of the dryer where the exhaust hooks up... the flame seems to come out of that area

Old 09-19-08, 04:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Can't see anyway flame can come out vent tube. The way dryers work is air enters dryer goes through flame area and than through drum and than out the vent. If you are seeing flame from side of vent tube you might be seeing the flame burning in normal spot. To be sure I would get a pro in to check. Don't want to burn house down.

Old 09-19-08, 11:35 AM
H
Is this "gas" dryer running on propane or natural gas. If it is running on propane, was the dryer converted to be used with propane? If it is running on propane and was not converted, stop using it at once and get it converted.

Old 09-19-08, 02:31 PM
S
We received this dryer from a friend who had it running in their home.. we have no natural gas in the area so we assumed they converted it to propane.. these people used the dryer for 3 years before we got it...we are just not sure how gas dryers work the flame...what we see is: where the galvanized vent pipe goes into back exhaust, when the dryer is heating, we see flame just inside the vent pipe. There happens to be a seam in the galvanized elbow. The elbow gets hot, but not the extended pipe. When the dryer is at temperature, the gas flame goes away until it needs to burn again to bring the temp up... Just wondering if this is normal or should you not see any visible flame coming out of the lint exhaust. Doesnt seem right..cant imagine how lint would build up if there is flame...

Old 09-19-08, 03:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Should not see flame in lint area at all. Real fire hazard. Still don't see how you are seeing flame there. I would not use dryer until you get checked.

Old 09-19-08, 04:50 PM
H
Just because there isn't natural gas in the area don't assume it's set up for propane. If you are using a natural gas setup on propane gas you will have a monster sized flame and significant soot at the dryer vent.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: