Gas dryer doesn't turn on

Old 09-25-08, 08:01 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry Gas dryer doesn't turn on

My gas dryer will only work if I keep the ON button depressed. I think the switch to turn the dryer on (the switch on top that you depress once to turn the dryer on once the door is closed) is in need to replacing. To keep the dryer running I have to place a heavy object on the button to keep it depressed. Everything else works just fine but once the switch is no longer depressed the dryer turns off.

Old 09-25-08, 01:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Please give type and model # so we can help. If it's a whirlpool or Kenmore there is a problem with control board.

Old 09-27-08, 03:59 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Lightbulb Defective Electric Motor Start Windings

Hello 99monguse. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Dryer does not continue to run unless start button remains depressed?...

Another possible cause may be the starter windings in the electric motor are or have become defective.

When the start button is depressed, those starter windings in the electric motor become energized. Once the motor begins to rotate, they disengage and the motor remains running.

Very possible that may or is likely to be the problem. Electric motor can be removed and tested and or replaced if needed, at any electric motor repair shop in your area. Look in the phone book (yellow pages) for such shops or go to any local appliance parts store in your area.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the most likely possible problem may be. They will need the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts and problem resolving matters. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs or services. Always check for gas leaks whenever moving the appliance and/or a service or repair includes any connection of a gas part.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in this thread.

Web Site Host, Forums Manager, Moderator Hiring and Promotions Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Read Gas Dryer Sticky Note In The Forum Topic For Additional Advice:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159481

Old 09-27-08, 11:25 AM
The Dryer is a Kenmore Elite Even Heat model # 110-729921202.

Old 09-27-08, 04:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Pls. ck model # may have a number wrong it will not come up. UNPLUG DRYER
open consul and look at control board left side near timer. look near bottom center of board and see if there is a burnt spot there. It there is you need a board. If not there is a motor relay in there that might be your problem ave seen boards go bad without burning resistor but not very often.

Old 09-27-08, 04:47 PM
I just re-checked the owners manual and the dryer itself; model # is 110.72992102 . I did look at the Repair Parts List booklet that comes with the unit and there is indeed a Switch (push-to-start) parts number 3977456. The part sells for about $8.00 via SEARS online.

Old 09-28-08, 04:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
In many years I have seen only 1 or 2 push to start switches bad most usual problem is control board or motor relay. Here is a link to your machine
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...ponents%20list
parts # 6 and 42 are the parts I am talking about.

Last edited by pugsl; 09-28-08 at 06:16 AM.
Old 09-29-08, 12:34 PM
According to the diagram, it looks like #2 the rear panel is removed to access these parts, is that right? I looked at my dryer and took out some screws but the panel didn't come off and I didn't want to mess with it if thats not how it comes off. The entire top also comes off too, but I wouldn't think you would have to take the entire top off just to access the switches and control board(micro-computer).

Old 09-29-08, 05:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
UNPLUG DRYER FIRST
On consul both ends there are a plastic trim piece. Put a screwdriver in slot in back top of trim and pop trim off. Under trim in bottom corners there are 2 Phillips head screws to remove. Pull consul toward you and lift up, consul will pivot back.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: