wilcolator (Oven) pilot light outage

Old 11-09-08, 03:38 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wilcolator (Oven) pilot light outage

we have an old Roper gas stove. We cleaned it up and he burners work fine, but we cant keep the pilot light for the oven going. THought it was the thermostat because it was not regulating the temp correctly.
Sent it away to have it rebuilt, now it regulates the temp, and has been calibrated. Pilot light still won't stay on. I can light it and for the duration of the time I have the oven on, the pilot light will stay on to keep the temp regulated. but as soon as I turn it off, the Pilot light fails as well.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-08, 06:22 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello MrMajors and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and to the Gas Appliances topic.

If that oven has a RED reset button that you have to hold depressed to light the pilot, one of two possible causes for the problem you're describing may be the cause.

The pilot flame isn't hot enough to keep the safety open or the safety device (safety element) is defective and needs replacement.

Suggestions:
Clean the pilot assembly. Blow it out using a can of compressed air used to clean a computer keyboard. Pilot must be all blue and no hint or any yellow in the flame. Cleaning it out will help ensure a hot flame.

If after doing this and pilot flame is hot and all blue and the safety still does not work correctly, you'll have to replace the safety element. Can be purchased at any local appliance parts retail store.

Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers and appliances parts stores are listed in the phone book.

Cautionary Reminder Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

More details and info in sticky note:
Read The Sticky Advice And Information Note In This Topic:
Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites.

Range/Stove/Oven/Broiler Info, Leak Detection, Fault Codes, Fuel Conversion & Links - DoItYourself.com Community Forums

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in this thread.

Regards and Good Luck. Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 12-04-09, 07:04 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Roper (Electric Ignitor) Gas Stove

I have a Roper Gas Stove w/electric ignitor and I can't get it to light and then if it does it has started not staying lit. It lit, then it began to only light if I turned it up to about 450 degrees and now it won't light. The two of the top burners will light, but the other two will not. Please, help!
I need it for the Holiday cooking.
Thanks,
TJ

Old 12-05-09, 07:40 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: TJ

If any top burner does not light using the sparker igniter, light it manually with a match or BBQ hand held lighter. There is no safety that will not allow manual lighting. Or turn on a burner where the sparker does work and then turn on a burner where it doesn't work. All sparkers should operate (spark) when any burner is turned on. This will help get you through the holidays.

Most likely the ovens Hot Surface Igniter (HSI) is defective or simply no glowing hot enough to ignite the gas. Oven burner cannot be lighted manually. From what I can determine in your post, replacing the HSI should resolve the problem with the oven.

More info in that sticky note. Contains almost every possible problem and solution. Reading that will more quickly help you determine the problem and resolve the problems.