Noisy Dryer

Old 11-22-08, 12:55 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Noisy Dryer

Have noticed that when the dryer is running, it is very noisy.
The dryer is a GE Profile model # DPSB613GD0WW and is 4 yrs old. It is not a metallic or scraping sound but a humming, growling type of sound. I've cleaned out the excess lint in front & rear ducts. I've opened it up to inspect/clean the inside of the unit. I didn't find much lint build-up inside. I did notice lint accumulating on & in the dryer motor so I removed it & blew it away. I inspected the drive belt, dryer drum slides, idler pulley, rear drum bearing, & front drum bearing. The drive belt shows no damage or excessive wear. The dryer drum slides show normal wear, grooves are present but not excessively deep. The idler pulley appears in good condition. The rear drum bearing appears in good condition. Front drum bearing is not damaged. The dryer drum itself is in excellent shape & not misshapen. I re-installed the motor and put everything back together and still this noise is present.
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-22-08, 01:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Looks like you have done alll the things I would. I think it you take the drum out and pulg in door or jump door switch you can start dryer and see if you can find noise with apart. Most times the hum is when the dryer starts or trys to start it's the motor.

Old 12-12-08, 05:22 AM
J
New noise

The dryer started making a metallic, scraping sound when drum is in motion. When dryer cycle starts, this noise is not present but soon afterwards it sounds as if the drum begins to scrape against something. Could it be the rear drum bearing has failed?

Old 12-12-08, 06:46 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Arrow Additional Possible Dryer Noise Causes

Hello jrseven and Welcome into the Gas Appliances topic.

Could it be the rear drum bearing has failed?
The answer to your question above is yes. That's if the drum is a real drum. Meaning it has a bottom or back to it and not a simple tube roller drum type.

Which can be determined if there is or are screws holding it in place at the back center if the drum. If there are three or four or so screws in that location, it's a true drum and not a rolling tube.

The back of the machine will also have or may have ventilation louvers or signs of a securing method for the bracket that holds the drum in place.

Dryer drum noises can then be coming from a wearing out or worn out rear bearing. Noise will increase like you mentioned as it heats up due to internal friction.

If the dryer does have a rear drum bearing and the noise is specifically coming from it, (which can be clearly heard while machine is in operation and away from the wall behind it with you behind it and near it) the bearing will need to be replaced.

Drum rollers and drum sliders or drum pads as they may be called, are located in the front of the drum or tube. These can also cause noises when worn out.

My suggestion would be to replace all of these parts if any repair is made, bearing or no bearing. Idea here is to open and fix it once and totally the first time to avoid doing it all over again in the near future if anything is done now, IMO.

The dryer help sticky may provide additional advice. Suggest reading it and the post within that applies. here

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the most likely possible problem may be. They will need the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts and problem resolving matters. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs or services. Always check for gas leaks whenever moving the appliance and/or a service or repair includes any connection of a gas part.

Read the existing questions on the subject of dryers. Doing so will more quickly provide you with answers to questions & provide additional information on how to resolve dryer problems.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in this thread.

Web Site Host, Forums Manager, Moderator Hiring and Promotions Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

PS:
Too much info in one post reply???.... Kindly excuse me. Like to provide all the possible causes and possible solutions in one post................

Old 12-12-08, 08:59 AM
J
Thanks for the reply, Sharp Advice.
Yes, it's a "real" drum and not a rolling tube. The front drum slides are OK & don't show excessive wear but the rear drum bearing is showing a red colored, powdery residue. I've got the rear bearing kit on order from RepairClinic. I should get it today. Better having too much info than not enough info.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: