Stove re-insulation safe

Old 12-11-08, 09:52 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Stove re-insulation safe

Is it safe for me to reinsulate my Magic Chef stove? Apparently, I can buy the insulation and do it myself with the aid of scissors and a screwdriver, according to one on-line source. However, other sources stated that if the insulation is not done correctly there's a potential fire hazard or you can end up with "hot spots." Can I do this myself, or is this a job for an appliance shop?

Old 12-12-08, 05:44 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Difficult Question To Answer Specifically

Hello Cautious repair and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and to the Gas Appliances topic.

As with almost any Do-It-Yourself project, there is an inherent danger or possible/potential cause for danger, if the project isn't done correctly...

Both the sources you've explored are correct. Replacing the ovens insulation can be a do it yourself project. Problem is doing it correctly to avoid potential problems and/or hazards.

In this instance and for this type of advice, about all you'll get is opinions. In my opinion (IMO) if the oven already has insulation in it and you're going to replace it, duplicate it EXACTLY as it presently is. No more and no less then exactly as you see it installed presently.

In cases such as this one, the usually saying of "if some is good"...."more is better" does not apply. More isn't always better then less....

If the oven does not presently have insulation, best bet IMO is to inquire how to do it correctly at a local appliance retail parts store in your area. Not per on line advice web sites that sell insulation without instructions for that specific appliance, etc.

Obtain, if possible, a service manual or a print out of the page(s) regarding insulation replacement.

Done correctly all will or should be okay. Done incorrectly and possible or potential problems can occur. Always best to be sure it's done correctly. Fire is or can be a danger. To a lesser degree oven temperatures will be effected.

Additional Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers on line web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes, solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair procedures, pictorials, schematics, repair and or owners manuals which may be available on line.

Cautionary Reminder Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

Read The Sticky Advice And Information Note In This Topic:
Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites. Range/Stove/Oven/Broiler Info, Leak Detection, Fault Codes, Fuel Conversion & Links - DoItYourself.com Community Forums

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in this thread.

Regards and Good Luck. Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: