Whirlpool Gas Dryer: Removing Blower Wheel

Old 12-14-08, 11:03 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Whirlpool Gas Dryer: Removing Blower Wheel

Hi, gang, It's nice to meet you. The motor in our Whirlpool LGR7646EQ3 Gas Dryer seized up. I have disassembled the unit down to the motor which is now loose. The problem is, of course, the blower wheel needs to be removed from the shaft to get the motor out. How do you do it on this dryer. Thanx

Old 12-14-08, 11:41 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello AustinM. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Blower fan is usually just pressed onto the motor shaft. Not likely to have a set screw, especially if the blow fan is made of plastic, which is very likely the case.

However, look around the edges of the fan. Most likely nothing more then a pressed on assembly. To remove the fan, you'll likely have to pull real hard. Unless you have a specialized tool, which is not likely the case.

Be aware damage to fans center is always possible. Try not to wiggle it off, if possible. The plastic gets brittle over time and cracks easily or can. Good Luck.

Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs or services. Always check for gas leaks whenever moving the appliance and/or a service or repair includes any connection of a gas part.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in this thread.

Web Site Host, Forums Manager, Moderator Hiring and Promotions Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 12-19-08, 05:19 PM
K
Did your dryer start making squealing sounds prior to the motor seizing? I have a gas Kenmore which is about 10 years old. Sometimes it will squeal and start, sometimes it will start just fine, then squeal intermittently during the cycle (getting worse).

Where did you get your motor, I've seen them on the internet priced from $39 to $99?

Old 12-20-08, 02:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Blower wheel has a left hand thread. You will have to take off back of dryer and lint tube. 7/8 wrench on front pulley of motor and I think 15/16 (crescent wrench will do) plastic square part of blower. On that dryer I usually end using a large chisel or screwdriver amd hammer, Brass bushing breaks loose in wheel and than you have to cut wheel off. I always have new blower wheel ready when I do any dryer blower.

Old 12-27-08, 03:26 PM
S
The best way to remove a blower wheel is clamp vice grips on the plastic square end of the wheel, put a crescent wrench on the flat of the motor shaft, and jerk the wrench clockwise, the blower will come off without damage.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: