Kenmore\Whirlpool Dryer

Old 12-19-08, 02:01 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kenmore\Whirlpool Dryer

My dryer will start empty, but with a load of clothes, it squeals, then stops. I replaced the (2) drum rollers, one had a flat spot. Belt looks fine. No problem with idler either.

After replacing rollers, dryer is much quieter, but I still have the same problem. I just started it by holding in the door switch and adding the laundry. Still running. Every once in a while I hear a squealing sound, sounds like metal on metal.

Any ideas?

Old 12-19-08, 02:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Please post model # so can see what kind of dryer you have. Tks

Old 12-19-08, 03:29 PM
K
Kenmore Model 110.97576410

Old 12-19-08, 03:34 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
When it squealed did you ever try to restart it RIGHT away, and see if it started right up again?

If it did not start up right away, but did later, it would be from the motor going out on thermal overload.

But if it does start right back up, then what maybe shuts off the dryer is there is some bind that slows the motor enough that the centrifugal switch opens up due to too slow of a speed.

If you are really certain that the complete roller assemblies are good, and the idler pulley is good, and can be proven as good at the time the dryer quits, then that leaves the motor bearings, the blower wheel, and maybe front glides.

Something like a sock in the blower wheel should not cause a squeal. It could if it were belt driven. But with direct drive, any hang up with the blower wheel would merely slow/possibly stop the motor. However something metal in a dryer fin might cause the squeal.

The fact you can run it though the way you cleverly do, leads me to believe this is not it. Worn out front glides, or being mistaken about condition of idler pulley or rollers seems more likely.

Also, check condition of motor shaft bearing by disconnecting the belt and try to jiggle the shaft from side to side. There should be virtually no detectable play from side to side or up and down -only some fore and aft (end) play.

Since dryers have so few mechanical moving parts, you should be able to find the problem.

Old 12-19-08, 03:56 PM
K
After the load finished, and everything was still warm, I played around a little. It did not want to start at all empty. Sounded like a locked rotor. I spun the drum and was able to start it. The metallic squeal happens mainly at the start, then sometimes while its running. Could it be the motor bearings? I can freely spin the drum, I don't think there is a mechanical bind. If it is the bearings, can they be replaced, or should I just replace the motor?

After the dryer cooled down. I was able to start it empty without assisting it. It squealed then kept running.

Old 12-19-08, 04:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is the idler a slide or a wheel? The slide type do squeal. No start after running sounds like a motor problem. Take the drum out and turn motor by hand and see if feels smooth when turning. You can also plug in door switch with drum out and rum motor. Careful 240 volts in there.

Old 12-19-08, 05:07 PM
K
The idler is a plastic wheel. Just put another load of laundry in, started up no problem. Could it be the motor bearings? There isn't much to this, the belt is fine, the idler is fine, and the rollers are brand new. Looked at motor prices on the internet. Range in price for new motor from $39 to $99 why the big price range?

Old 12-20-08, 02:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did the dryer stop after it ran a while? Don't know about motor prices. just install what we sell.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: